Details: Depending on years of work experience, this will determine salary. We have a competitive compesnation package.
55 Hester Street
CAAAV: Organizing Asian Communities is seeking a dynamic organizer for our Chinatown Tenants Union. The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to build relationships with working-class Asian immigrants and be confident in door knocking, leadership development, campaign planning and development to fight displacement and win greater landlord accountability connecting the tenant organizing to a larger more radical housing agenda.
CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities builds the leadership of Asian immigrant and refugee communities in New York City to fight for racial, gender, and economic justice. We work closely in local coalitions and national alliances addressing issues including gentrification, police brutality, and fighting for larger reforms with an analysis on structural racism, patriarchy, and capitalism. With a membership base of over 125 members and a base of over 4,000 supporters, CAAAV has been fighting for justice for communities of color in the U.S. for over 30 years.
The primary responsibilities of the CTU Organizer are:
- Coordinate base-building activities to build a robust membership base, including but not limited to: weekly outreach in Chinatown buildings, monthly membership meetings, weekly leadership meetings, and 1:1’s with tenants.
- Conducting weekly office hours answering residents’ housing questions and following up to recruit tenants into CTU membership.
- Building the leadership of low‐income rent‐stabilized Chinese tenants through know your rights trainings, political education, and skills development trainings.
- Support the development of tenant associations and developing leadership of tenants to manage building campaigns.
- Working with tenants to organize local protests, press conferences, and other actions to target bad-acting landlords and other key players in the fight against gentrification in Chinatown.
- Recruiting, managing, and training bilingual volunteers and interns to conduct outreach.
- Working with CTU’s tenant leadership group, the Organizing Committee, in developing CTU’s campaign vision and strategy.
- Facilitating the participation of tenant members in citywide coalitions.
- Diligent data entry about leaders, tenants, meetings, outreach, landlords, and volunteers.
- Some limited media and communications work to support the organizing mission of CTU and CAAAV, in both English and Chinese.
- Participate in planned individual, staff, and organizational evaluation activities.
- Participate in regular staff development and political development activities.
- Assist in office management duties and other work as laid out by supervisor.
- Some travel may be required for conferences and trainings.
- Reports to CTU Lead Organizer.
We’re seeking candidates who excel in relationship‐building, have strong verbal and written communications skills, and have strong project management skills with a strong commitment to CAAAV’s mission and movement building.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 2-3 years community or labor organizing experience a must.
- Fluency in Mandarin (required) and/or Cantonese. (verbal required, written preferred)
- Willingness to work on a Sunday-Thursday schedule.
- A deep connection to Chinatown, AAPI immigrant communities in NYC, and/or CTU’s mission to organize working-class immigrants around housing issues.
- Cultural/language competency in working with limited English proficient Asian immigrant communities.
- Experience managing multiple projects and an ability to oversee a team of volunteers and interns.
- Excellent interpersonal, written communications, and public speaking skills.
- Strong campaign development skills.
This position is a full‐time position with accrued paid vacation, sick days, personal days, a floating holiday, full medical and dental coverage as well as coaching and staff development.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Mandarin (required) and/or Cantonese. (verbal required, written preferred)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject heading: CTU ORGANIZER by April 30, 2018. This position is a full‐time position with accrued paid vacation and sick days. Pay is commensurate on experience. CAAAV is an equal opportunity employer. Women, immigrants, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and people of color from low‐income communities are strongly encouraged to apply.