175 North Beacon Street
Perkins School for the Blind, located near Boston, was the first school for the blind chartered in the United States in 1829. For over 180 years, the staff at Perkins have been providing quality services to students and clients who are blind, visually impaired, deafblind and multi-impaired. Perkins School for the Blind embraces diversity in ability, thought, culture and belief. We provide equal education and employment opportunities and value the unique talents and contributions of all of our students and staff.
Under the direction of the Director of Facilities and Property Management, the Manager-Security & Safety is responsible for the safety of all students, staff and property of Perkins. The Manager-Security & Safety is a key leader in the development and management of security protocols to ensure the safety and adherence to all school policies and procedures.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Expectationsinclude the following;
- Manage day-to-day security operations as well as lead the development and implementation of overall security & safety plans for campus, including policies, procedures and protocols following best practices.
- Assist in the design and implementation of any installation or expansion of technological systems including card access and electronic surveillance or other related systems.
- Responsible for coordination of all Life Safety Drills to include fire, lockdown, shelter in place and other emergency preparedness drills as needed.
- Provide Security Officers with ongoing training as it relates to Security protocols, changes to systems or processes and any other related topics.
- Provide oversight and Management of the Front Desk Attendant which has the responsibility of signing in guests, answering incoming calls to the Main Phone Line, vehicle key distribution, Guesthouse registration and additional security responsibilities.
- Responsible for ensuring proper coverage on all shifts to provide for the safety and security of all students, staff and property. Coordinate with the Watertown Police Department for campus police details as needed.
- Notify Security Officers of any issues as it relates to daily activities at the start of the shift and ensure the officers know responsibilities.
- Ensure all electronic surveillance equipment and door access systems are working properly at the start of each shift. Monitor, troubleshoot, and take action to proactively address any card access issues ensuring proper access is adhered to at all times as well as monitoring and analyzing silent alarms. Provide training to Security Officers on use of electronic surveillance equipment and card access system.
- Review daily Security Officer reports to determine any issues needing immediate remediation, provide weekly updates to the Director of Facilities and Property Management
- Responsible for the development and execution of training scenarios to ensure a high state of readiness for the Perkins Incident Commanders and Adminstrators for Emergency coverage. Key member of the Emergency Response team and safety related meetings.
- Prepare reports for management including but not limited to reports regarding card access violations/anomalies, overrides, campus incidents etc.
- At times required to patrol buildings and grounds of school facilities on a regular basis to ensure security and safety of campus by examining doors, windows, and gates; record inspection times of assigned inspection locations in security log diaries.
- Coordinate communication with all appropriate personnel including any local public safety officers at times of emergency.
- Act as liaison to Watertown Police and Fire Departments for routine and emergency responses.
- Warn violators of rule infractions, contact police department in such instances as the presence of unauthorized person(s); smoking in prohibited areas; carrying forbidden articles; and in the event a person(s) is engaging in suspicious or criminal acts.
- Ensure all Security Officers report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and security doors left unlocked as soon as reasonably possible to avoid excessive damage/loss
- Provide direction and constituent services as it relates to Security at campus events to maintain orderly flow.
- Organize parking reservation requests for approval. Ensure proper signage is created and organize actual setup relating to reserved parking for events.
- To perform other related duties and tasks as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years of security experience with at least 2 years in a supervisory capacity. Security in a school setting preferred.
Benefits: We provide a complete benefits package, which includes, recess time, tuition reimbursement, medical and dental insurance, LTD and Life insurance, retirement programs and staff development and training.
Perkins seeks to enhance its community of intellectually, culturally, and socially diverse individuals to enrich the educational experience of our students. Applicants from a multicultural background, are bilingual, and/or who have life experience are encouraged to apply.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume to:
Or you can apply directly through our careers portal: