6401 The Paseo
ABOUT THE KAUFFMAN SCHOOL
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School is a three-school campus (two middle schools and a high school) of mission-driven college preparatory schools in Kansas City, MO focused on student achievement and strong character. The school’s mission is summarized in three words: create college graduates.
The Kauffman School was named 2015 Missouri Charter School of the Year. The schools serve a student population of which 87% qualify for free and reduced lunch and 90% identify as person of color. Students are accepted by a lottery that prioritizes the six highest-need zip codes within the district. Students entering Kauffman School in fifth grade typically scored in the bottom third of the state on their fourth grade exams. After four years at Kauffman School, 8th grade classes score at the very top in state exams; in 2015-2016 Kauffman School 8th graders ranked #1 in math, #3 in science, and #12 in ELA in the state of Missouri. Our founding freshman class was the #1 ranked district in Biology and the #2 ranked district in Algebra on Missouri’s end of course exams. Year after year, Kauffman School students outperform their peers across the state at every single grade and subject level.
Kauffman School students’ results demonstrate their incredible brilliance, passion, creativity, and work ethic. Kauffman Students are empowered by their identities and place in the community and develop a critical consciousness of the world around them. Kauffman School staff actively partner with families to be a school, not just in the community, but of the community.
Kauffman School is seeking a highly effective Counselor/Social Worker to join its team of committed educators willing to do “whatever it takes” for students to succeed. Kauffman School staff believes all students can meet high academic expectations in the right school environment. The Social Worker helps build the right environment by providing crisis intervention, behavioral management, and counseling to students and families to support student achievement.
Supporting Students and Families:
- Provide crisis intervention and behavior management to expedite students’ return to classrooms and to improve students’ abilities to meet the school’s high expectations
- Provide one-on-one counseling or group counseling as needed to students and families
- Identify and train others to identify students and family members who may benefit from one-on-one counseling or group counseling
- Provide training and resources to teachers and staff regarding best practices for supporting students receiving counseling
- Schedule school meetings with families
- Administer the referral process for external social services and monitor the execution of those services
- Partner with the Dean of Students to design and coordinate family activities
- Other duties as assigned
Building School Culture:
- Believe deeply in the mission of the Kauffman School and that all children can meet high academic expectations
- Discuss, celebrate, and reinforce the school’s PREP (Perseverance, Results, Empathy, Passion) values
- Implement school-wide behavior management system consistently with all students
- Embrace feedback and constructive criticism in the spirit of constant improvement
- Demonstrate maturity, humility, professionalism, confidence, and a strong work ethic inside and outside the classroom
- A Licensed Master Social Worker with specialization in either clinical or school social work is preferred; however, if a candidate has a Master’s degree in Social Work and is on a path to licensure, the Kauffman School will consider your candidacy
- Ability to use therapy and counseling in assessment-based treatment plans
- Experience with students who present with behavioral difficulties, developmental challenges, or traumatic stress reactions
- Experience working with low-income, minority, or historically underachieving students
- Able and willing to work a longer school day and school year
- Able to build positive relationships with students, families and colleagues
- Given the longer school day at Kauffman School, this position requires extended work days and hours
- Commitment to and complete belief in the Kauffman School’s mission to create college graduates as well as in the School’s organizational success
- Personality should project enthusiasm, professionalism and a high level of credibility
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in the face of competing demands and external pressures
- Ambition and desire to grow and to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Commitment to getting the job done right and willingness to do whatever it takes to create and maintain an orderly, effective school organizatio
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues and community members
- Must have a strong personal value system that encompasses high integrity, honesty, a solid work ethic, high professional standards and strong moral character
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Kauffman School offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with relevant experience and anticipated duties and responsibilities, including comprehensive health benefits.
Interested applicants should complete a formal application through the Kauffman School Careers page at http://www.kauffmanschool.org/. In your cover letter please address the following topics:
- Describe a time and the specific action steps you took when working with students to set and achieve a counseling goal.
- Highlight your experience working with low-income, minority, or historically underachieving students
- Provide specific evidence of your alignment with the Kauffman School’s missions of “creating college graduates” and/or the Kauffman School’s PREP Values (Perseverance, Results, Empathy, Passion).
The Kauffman School is an Equal Opportunity Employer, welcoming people to flourish in an open and inclusive work environment. A diverse pool of candidates is welcomed and encouraged.
Minimum Education Required