44 Court Street
Planned Parenthood of New York City is seeking a Laboratory Coordinator to join our Clinical Services team. This Laboratory Coordinator is based at our Boro Hall Center located at 44 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
It is an exciting and important time to work at Planned Parenthood of New York City. We are building on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance.
Working at PPNYC is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programming so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers, whether through our services, education or advocacy efforts, which prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
At PPNYC, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPNYC fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPNYC knows that our greatest asset is our people. We offer competitive compensation and robust benefits package to eligible employees. Our benefits package includes comprehensive health and dental insurance, a 401(k) retirement plan including an employer contribution, and generous paid time off.
What the Laboratory Coordinator does:
- Under the direction of the Laboratory Director, oversee and assure compliance with all regulatory agency requirements as delineated by the New York City Department of Health.
- Ensure that the daily quality controls and daily checklist are completed.
- Oversee proper laboratory procedures are followed in the collecting blood for Rh typing, hemoglobin testing, urinalysis and pregnancy testing, G.C. and Chlamydia screening , HIV testing and other tests as assigned by the Laboratory Director.
- Train, evaluate and oversee HCAs and phlebotomists assigned to the Lab, including sign-off of temporary staff.
- Coordinate lab schedule with HCA supervisor to ensure appropriate staff coverage, assuring adequate coverage of trained personnel. Under direction of Lab Director, implement new laboratory procedures or changes as assigned.
- Oversee inventory control of all laboratory equipment and supplies, assuring that adequate levels of supplies are maintained.
- Responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness of laboratory, including bench cleaning and ensuring that the required refridgeratore and room temperature are maintained. Responsible for stocking, labeling and distribution of Rhogam.
- Obtain, identify, label and process laboratory specimens using established laboratory techniques, recording results accurately in patient’s electronic health record.
- Ensure coordination of lab specimen send outs, reconciling send outs and results received.
- Participate in and attend all required lab and center meetings as well as maintain communication with Lab Director and other center supervisors as needed.
- Accepts individual and joint responsibility for and participates in health care center efforts to comply with all organizational and quality assurance guidelines, and all applicable government regulations.
- Accepts individual and joint responsibility for and participates in overall health center efforts to achieve all goals set to improve customer relations, increase customer satisfaction and promote repeat customer visits.
- Understands and commits to modeling excellent customer service in all aspects of health care delivery. Accepts individual and joint responsibility for and participates in overall health center efforts to achieve goals and policies on professionalism, wait time in the clinic/on the phone, and the system for addressing client complaints.
- Meets Clinical Services Standards of Behavior.
- Understands and commits to customer oriented approach to health care delivery.
- Completes all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of ADA and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA.
- Works effectively with volunteers, trainees and temp agency personnel.
- Performs other educational and experience related duties as required.
We’re seeking candidates who have:
- An associate degree or equivalent
- Medical assistant certification or equivalent experience
- 2 years of related or applicable experience in a sexual and reproductive health care setting (desired but not required)
- Superior customer service skills
- Experience with Electronic Health Records (desired but not required)
Planned Parenthood of New York City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Are you interested in bringing your passion, commitment and expertise to Planned Parenthood of New York City? Please follow this link to submit your resume and cover letter. No phone calls; PPNYC will contact select applicants to conduct an initial phone screening.