242 W 38th St.
About Youth Communication (YC)
YC’s programs help educators engage their hardest-to-reach students so those young people can strengthen the social and emotional skills and literacy skills that will help them graduate from high school, get jobs, succeed in college, and contribute to their communities. YC’s professional development training and curricula are based entirely on true stories written by teens in YC’s intensive writing workshops. That makes YC’s programs and services exceptionally engaging. We are a small team with an audacious vision: tens of thousands of in-school and out-of-school educators will use our programs to support the success of hundreds of thousands students.
Youth Communication is entering a new growth phase and in need of an organized, thoughtful new colleague to help manage administrative, evaluation, and project management tasks. This person will be instrumental in ensuring that YC is able to deliver high-quality stories and professional development to educators across New York City.
The Programs Coordinator must be comfortable wearing multiple hats, and able to collaborate with a diverse and dynamic team. The ideal applicant will be exceptionally organized. A commitment to or strong interest in urban education, literacy, and/or youth development is vital. Comfort and familiarity with databases and project planning software is essential. This is a perfect opportunity for a highly motivated professional who is eager to grow with an expanding organization.
Responsibilities will include:
Education Department: 70%
- Trainings: Manage planning, scheduling, preparation and follow up for professional development workshops
- Surveys: Process all evaluations and coordinate with marketing and education staff to create reports for internal and external use
- Research: Provide research on education trends and initiatives, and administrative support for the Education Director and Deputy Director
- Assist in program planning and coordination, as well as with outreach efforts.
Other administrative needs: 30%
- Coordinate with book publishers and ensure on-time delivery of materials
- Manage organizational systems to ensure all internal and external deadlines are met
- Collect, track and maintain client activity using YC’s software management tools (Pipedrive, Smartsheet, and Filemaker Pro), involving routine data entry and careful oversight of data for both internal and external reports.
- Support editorial department and production staff to meet deadlines
- Periodically communicate with educators about upcoming events
- Support staff of 10 to accomplish day-to-day administrative tasks
- Take on special projects as needed
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to complete both short term responsibilities and make steady progress on longer term projects
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel and Word)
- Superior attention to detail
- Flexibility and positive attitude
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Experience working with online survey tools (e.g. Survey Monkey, Google Forms)
- Commitment to Youth Communication’s mission and to learning about program-related matters
- 4-year degree required
- 1-2 years of successful work experience in an office setting strongly preferred
- Comfort with databases and scheduling software is essential
- Experience working with Pipedrive, Smartsheet, and/or Filemaker Pro a plus
Sample Week in the Life of the Programs Coordinator
- Enter data from previous training into Survey Monkey
- Ensure all recent workshop participants are entered correctly into Smartsheet and Filemaker
- Ensure all outstanding book orders are sent from recent workshop and online book sales
- Check in with Education Director about upcoming workshop (agenda, special requests, etc…)
- Organize, pack and ship 10 boxes of anthologies from prior workshop
- Collaborate with Deputy Director and Marketing Director to update training and program survey results reports
- Troubleshoot delivery problem with a box of anthologies sent to client
- Professional Development check-in meeting
- Manage logistics for new YCteen issue: send comp copies of recent magazine to principals and writers; communicate with contest winners
- Send reminder emails to all registered participants for upcoming training
- Troubleshoot glitch in Smartsheet
- Print and prepare all folders and materials for upcoming training
- Weekly check-in with Deputy Director
- Work with Education Director on scheduling partner coaching sessions
- Reach out to staff for any contributions to upcoming monthly staff meeting and/or weekly “good news” email
- Arrive no later than 8:45 a.m. to help set up training room, greet participants
- Meet with Operations Director to troubleshoot revenue and impact reports from Smartsheet and Pipedrive
- Ensure that lunch arrives and is set up for training participants
- Draft and send weekly “good news” email to whole staff
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. We are unable to respond to all applications.