Details: DOE FTE
1757 Waller St.
The mission of Safe & Sound (formerly the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center) is to prevent child abuse and reduce its devastating impact.
Safe & Sound is a children’s advocacy organization addressing the problem of child abuse. We have been a leader in the field of prevention, working with families and the community in San Francisco for over 40 years. Child abuse is a complex problem and we come at our work from many angles. Using a data-informed approach to prevention, we empower children and strengthen families, educate and mobilize the community, and work to improve citywide systems through public and private partnerships, including developing and leading a Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC).
The organization has an annual operating budget of approximately $8 million and is supported by approximately 60 staff and interns and more than 80 volunteers. More information is available at: www.safeandsound.org.
Safe & Sound seeks a smart, results-oriented professional fundraiser to oversee its development and communications programs. The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will lead and have primary responsibility for all Safe & Sound’s fundraising and communications efforts. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the CDO will be a strategic and thought-partner to the Chief Executive Officer, serving on the senior management team. The CDO will implement a fully integrated fundraising and communications program in support of Safe & Sound’s strategic plan. The CDO will work closely with the Board of Directors, volunteers and key staff, including supervising 4-5 experienced staff and consultants, to achieve this scope of responsibility.
STRATEGIC PLANNING AND INITIATIVES
- Develop multi-year revenue strategies to support organization’s growth and strategic initiatives.
- Develop motivating metrics and dashboards for the development department.
- Assess and implement major development initiatives, including: campaigns, large-scale government grants, and earned income strategies, collaborating with Chief Operating Officer where appropriate.
- Collaborate with Chief Operating Officer and programs teams on development of organizational goals, outcomes and dashboards.
Lead the Development Team in the solicitation and stewardship of $5M in private funds, through:
- Special Events: Lead the planning and execution of the annual Blue Ribbon Luncheon, a fundraising event for 600+ guests, raising over $750K; as well as 2-4 smaller events.
· Major Gifts: Collaborate with CEO and Individual Giving Officer on solicitation and cultivation of major gifts ($5K+), leveraging CEO time as appropriate.
- Corporate and Foundation Program: Oversee a strategy to meet annual and multi-year corporate and foundation fundraising goals.
- Grant Program: Supervise private and government grant proposals, including reporting and compliance.
- Board Fundraising: Work with Board of Directors, in particular its Development Committee, to leverage Directors’ fundraising efforts.
- Volunteer Management: In consultation with programming departments, supervise volunteer outreach to create continuity of opportunities for volunteering and philanthropic giving.
- Planned Giving: Oversee the development and implementation of a robust legacy giving program.
- Fundraising Communications: Oversee fundraising communications, including all print, electronic, and social media, newsletter, annual report, website, promotional activities, and recognition opportunities.
- Public Relations: Develop and implement strategies to promote Safe & Sound’s mission both internally and to the community at large, and represent Safe & Sound publicly to community leaders, civic organizations, current and potential funders, and local businesses.
- Community Relations: Attend meetings of various foundations, corporations, business groups and nonprofit organizations; participate in collaborative efforts related to outreach activities.
- Awareness & Advocacy: In collaboration with Associate Director of Community Education & Strategic Partnerships and Communications Officer, implement strategies to promote awareness around issues of child abuse, its effects, and ways to prevent it.
- Branding & Marketing: Work with the Communications Officer to strengthen and promote Safe & Sound’s brand.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer in formulating and achieving short and long term objectives, long range or strategic planning.
- Play an active role in major projects, assuming responsibility for key areas.
- Responsible for shared-oversight of organization consistent with and reflecting organizational vision and values, with focus on particular programs of supervision.
- Responsible for joint-implementation of strategic plan and implementation of policies and practice that reinforce long-term best practices.
- Develop and implement annual and future department plans, budgets, metrics, assessments and evaluations.
- Participate in organizational-wide fund development and reporting for public and private resources, with focus on program of supervision.
- Support, mentor and manage staff, subcontractors, and consultants.
- Responsible for developing and training staff within department.
- Responsible for identifying short and long-term areas of concern within entire organization as well as tactics for resolution.
- Handle high level of confidential and sensitive information.
- Develop systems and protocols to ensure that the Development Team runs effectively and efficiently.
- Work with other team members to ensure coordination of and communication between all organizational services and departments.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
· Strong interest in social service and child abuse prevention issues as well as a commitment to the goals and values of Safe & Sound.
· 8-10 years of progressively successful fundraising experience; working knowledge of all aspects of the development function including direct mail, major gifts and endowment campaigns, grant funding, corporate giving, event planning, etc.
· Demonstrated experience and effectiveness in soliciting major gifts.
· Demonstrated experience motivating and leading development campaigns, volunteers, committees, and development staff to reach fundraising goals.
· Excellent manager and team leader to foster growth, innovation, and development of departmental staff and each of its individual members.
· Knowledge of current legal, tax and other standards relevant to fundraising.
· Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and sustain trusted relationships, maintain confidentiality, and operate with discretion.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team-oriented environment.
· Superior written and oral communication skills and attention to detail.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Must be able to pass criminal background check.
Safe & Sounds offers a very generous benefits portfolio that includes choices of Gold/Platinum level healthcare plans, dental, vision, mental health a retirement plan with an employer discretionary match after 1 year of employment great vacation/sick/floating holiday/holiday time off programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Safe & Sound is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and a detailed cover letter to Frank Landin, Manager of Human Resources at email@example.com.