40 Worth Street
Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to work in our Elderly Project.
VOLS's mission is to leverage the good will, resources, and talents of some of New York City's best law firms to provide pro bono legal services to the city's neediest residents.
Founded in 1990, VOLS’s Elderly Project works closely with senior centers in Manhattan and with participating law firms to coordinate pro bono legal services for elderly people of modest means. A core emphasis of the Project is on enabling volunteer attorneys from law firms to assist seniors with the preparation and execution of life-planning documents, including wills, powers of attorney, and medical advance directives. The Project also advises and refers seniors with respect to a wide range of other legal issues, including housing, consumer debt, and government benefits like Medicaid and SSI.
Staff Attorney Responsibilities:
• Work closely with the Elderly Project Director in the day to day operation of the project and will include the following responsibilities:
• Staff regular legal clinics at senior centers and provide advice, counsel and referrals to seniors on a variety of civil legal needs.
• Help spot legal issues impacting low-income seniors.
• Support pro bono efforts by assisting with placing matters with volunteers and co-counseling matters with volunteer lawyers.
• Conduct outreach, including facilitating educational workshops and trainings.
• Prepare and execute life-planning documents for seniors whom the Project chooses to represent as its clients.
• The staff attorney may also do some work with other VOLS projects, including the Unemployment Project.
Qualifications and Skills:
• An attorney admitted in good standing in New York State with 2-5 years’ experience.
• Familiarity with New York City housing law and public benefits.
• Demonstrated experience providing direct client legal representation.
• Experience working in fast-paced, high volume case setting with extensive client contact and experience handling cases from intake to closing.
• Experience working with low to moderate income individuals.
• Excellent writing skills.
• High skill and comfort level with basic Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Experience with LegalServer or other case management platforms.
• Fluency in Spanish preferred, but fluency in another non-English language will be considered.
• Strong organization, documentation and recordkeeping skills.
• Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills with persons of varying degrees of knowledge and understanding of legal matters.
• Professionalism and collegiality.
• The ability to respond sensitively to the needs of the seniors, lawyers, and agency staff whom the Project works with.
• Ability to work as a team and independently, as well.
Salary will be competitive and will depend on experience. The range for this position is $60,000-$65,000.
VOLS offers an excellent benefits package, including health, life, and disability insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes, and the option to contribute to a 403(b) plan. We also provide 25 days of paid vacation and 12 days of paid sick leave annually.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for the Staff Attorney positions, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Application for Elderly Project Staff Attorney.” Please visit our site www.volsprobono.org, and in your cover letter, provide a brief explanation of your personal or professional interest and/or experience as it relates to VOLS’ work. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone or email inquiries, please. VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, or any other prohibited category.