4700 Wissahickon Avenue
Wissahickon Charter School is seeking Lower School Apprentice Teachers for Literacy and Math. The Apprentice teacher will support teachers and students in the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. The Apprentice Teacher position is a wonderful opportunity for recent graduates or career changers who are looking for a pathway into the teaching profession. Candidates currently enrolled in or recently graduated from teacher education programs are strongly encouraged to apply. This position provides invaluable classroom experience and professional development. Experience as an Apprentice Teacher for one to two years is great preparation for becoming a lead teacher in the future.
● Collaborative planning with 3rd through 5th grade lead teachers.
● Partner with lead teachers to implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
● Provide one-on-one and small group instruction in content area to students in grades 3rd through 5th for additional academic support
● Work closely with lead teachers to assess, track and analyze student progress
● Collaborate with the 3rd-5th grade team to ensure student growth in subject area of focus
● Participate in ongoing professional development
● Provide substitute teaching coverage when 3rd-5th grade teachers are out
● As instructional skills gradually increase, may be responsible for providing whole group instruction to students in select subjects
● Complete administrative duties (e.g. data entry, homework review, filing, copying)
● Accompany the students to recess as needed
● Assist lead teachers with other student responsibilities as requested
● Bachelor’s degree or higher
● Strong content knowledge and skill in either Math or Literacy
● If applying for math, knowledge of Go Math curriculum a plus. If applying for literacy, knowledge of Readers and Writers’ Workshop a plus
● Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI clearance and a current health assessment
● Interest in the mission of Wissahickon Charter School, and a belief that all children can learn
● Reflective and open to feedback and coaching
● Appreciation of the unique strengths and challenges of 3rd-5th graders
● Experience working with students, in a school setting preferred
● Ability to work with a variety of colleagues who have diverse teaching and organizational styles
● Commitment to learning about and consistently implementing Wissahickon Charter Schools’ behavioral management plan
This is a full time, 10-month position with health benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “LS Apprentice Teacher ” and your preferred content (Literacy or Math) in the subject line.
1. Cover letter indicating why you would be a great fit for this position and WCS
Wissahickon Charter School is committed to hiring a diverse staff and encourages those from traditionally under-represented backgrounds to apply. Wissahickon Charter School does not discriminate in hiring or employment, or in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, or other programs.