Details: Commensurate with experience
Position Title: Food on the Move Market Manager
Reports to: Food Access Coordinator
The Rhode Island Public Health Institute (www.riphi.org) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to promote community health and eliminate health disparities in Rhode Island and beyond. RIPHI implements public health programs, conducts translational and policy research, and trains students and public health practitioners. Our current projects focus on food insecurity, nutrition, active living, hepatitis C and HIV, pre-exposure prophylaxis to reduce HIV transmission, and geographically-focused health interventions.
RIPHI runs the Food on the Move mobile produce market. Food on the Move believes that everyone deserves healthy food. Our year-round mobile markets bring fresh, healthy produce to the people and places that need it most. We make healthy food more accessible by bringing markets to senior housing sites and community locations, and more affordable by doubling the value of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) dollars spent on fruits and vegetables.
What started as an NIH funded clinical research trial has become one of the largest mobile markets in the US, with over 35 mobile markets per month. Our mobile markets provide a testing ground for innovative models to improve food access and affordability, and serve as a national model.
Published research shows that Food on the Move works – people who regularly shop at our markets significantly increase the amount of fruits and vegetables they eat, and research shows that eating ample fruits and vegetables is linked to a lower risk of obesity and chronic health conditions such as diabetes and heart disease. As a data-driven organization with a policy focus, we will use our data to advance state and federal policies that make healthy foods accessible and affordable to everyone.
RIPHI is seeking Market Manager with the desire to help grow and sustain the Food on the Move program. The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, a background in business management, and a leadership style that will inspire Market Team Members to excel in their roles. The right candidate should also love working in the field with our clients and providing them with an excellent shopping experience.
The Market Manager will oversee all aspects of the operations of the Food on the Move mobile market and will be charged with improving the program’s financial results. This includes business operations, staff development and supervision, and daily operation of the market. The Market Manager will spend approximately 50% time in the office and 50% time working at markets. Time in the office will be spent managing and improving the operations of the program and connecting with RIPHI staff. Time at the markets is critical to build relationships with market host site partners, oversee quality control, understand what is working well and what is not, and develop and maintain relationships with Market Staff Members.
Food on the Move typically holds 2-3 markets per day, Monday through Friday, and is looking to expand to weekends. Some early morning, evening, and weekend work will be required.
The position includes driving a van with a trailer; applicant’s willingness to train to drive the vehicle is essential. The position also requires lifting loads weighing up to 50 lbs, and pushing/pulling carts weighing up to 100 lbs.
Business Operations Responsibilities
· Assist with the development of Food on the Move’s business plan
· Ensure goals and objectives of Food on the Move’s business plan are being met
· Strengthen and maintain relationships with Food on the Move’s vendors
· Identify ways to streamline operations
· Develop strategies to ensure sales and profitability while achieving excellent customer service and advancing Food on the Move’s mission
· Create market schedules by working with host sites
· Create Team Member schedules
· Review and approve Market Staff Members timesheets
· Develop and monitor adherence to business protocols
· Ensure the Food on the Move trailer and van are in good working order, coordinate maintenance and repair when needed
· Maintain up to date licenses, permits, and registrations
· Ensure markets are merchandised and marketed according to community need
· Attend RIPHI Team Meetings and meetings with Food Access Coordinator and other RIPHI staff
Staff Supervision Responsibilities
· Supervising part time Market Staff members
· Supervising the Market Communication Coordinator
· Providing Market Staff Members with support and guidance to ensure they can do their best work
· Ensuring Market Staff members provide excellent customer service
· Ensuring Market Staff Members follow Food on the Move and RIPHI policies and procedures
· Troubleshoot Market Staff Members questions and issues
· Training new Market Staff Members
Market Operation Responsibilities
· Stock the mobile trailer each morning by packaging and loading crates of produce into the vehicle
· Unpack and display the market produce at the market and continually monitoring quality of all products being sold in accordance with market protocols
· Use the Point of Sale (POS) cashiering system to manage, track and report pricing and inventory
· Handle cash deposits on a daily basis
· Report on sales to the Food Access Coordinator at end of each market and follow procedures to maintain supply of produce, which may include ordering and sourcing additional produce
· Break down market displays and repackage produce at the end of each market in compliance with market protocols
· Be familiar with all Food on the Move promotions and activities, and ensure Market Team Members have a full understanding of promotions and activities
· Provide excellent customer satisfaction
- Knowledge and appreciation of ‘Food on the Move’ mission and desire to eliminate health disparities
· Experience working in diverse community settings
- Ability to build a strong team and employ a leadership style that encourages staff members to do their best work
- Experience managing a large, complex program
- Experience developing policies and procedures for business management
- Focus on excellent customer service
- Experience managing staff
- Entrepreneurial self-starter
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Available to work a flexible schedule based on needs of client sites, including evening hours.
- Must be able to bend and lift loads, up to 50 pounds. Push and pull carts weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Must be able to respond to constructive criticism and feedback from supervisors and colleagues
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Present a good impression in dress, hygiene, and attitude
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with good driving record and must be interested and willing to be trained to drive the mobile market, which is a large van and hitched trailer
- The Market Manager position is subject to change over time given needs of the organization
Other Skills and experience:
· Bi-lingual in English and Spanish or Portuguese is desirable
· Experience in grocery industry desirable
· Experience in business operations and distribution desirable
· Associate’s or bachelor’s degree desirable
Compensation and Commitment:
Full time: Up to 40 hours per week
Compensation commensurate with experience
Full time employees are eligible for health, dental, vision, and paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual in English and Spanish or Portuguese is desirable
Minimum Education Required