Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, 401K plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax transit program, and liberal vacation policy.
44 Court Street
The Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (“VLP”) has an exciting opportunity for a college graduate to serve as a Legal Assistant who will support all of VLP’s practice areas. Litigation support experience is preferred but not required. Experience with low-income clients, and familiarity with public benefits, bankruptcy, consumer debt, and housing law is helpful but not required. We value strong organizational, interpersonal, communication, writing and computer skills. Fluency in Spanish is required.
We value experience with corporate law firms, volunteer-based social service organizations, consumer debt, bankruptcy, foreclosure and/or family/matrimonial matter issues. Knowledge of Excel, Word, and Outlook required. Skills in HTML, SPSS, editing/creating PDF files, database management, reporting, statistical analyses, and outcomes measurement are a plus, but not required.
· Perform intake with prospective clients in-person and by telephone at our Brooklyn office
· Provide financial counseling to clients
· Provide brief information and/or referrals to clients seeking legal assistance
· Provide legal assistance, under attorney supervision, to clients including preparing uncontested divorces
· Assist staff attorneys on foreclosure, consumer debt, bankruptcy, family law, and other practice areas
· Assist with litigation support, drafting documents, legal research, and client follow-up
· Train, orient and supervise in-house volunteers and interns on intake procedures, computer and phone systems, and client database
· Serve as an administrator of client database and serve as liaison with IT consultant
· Assist Development Director and Executive Director with development and fundraising tasks
· Provide administrative assistance to the office and Executive Director
· Enter client information into database and ensure that information is up-to-date and correct
· Assist in creation of quarterly and annual reports to funders and governmental entities, including compilation of statistical information
· Assist with the organization of trainings, special events, and outreach activities
2-years litigation support or foreclosure/bankruptcy experience preferred
Commitment to social justice
Exceptional attention to detail
Strong problem-solving, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills
Flexibility, creativity, and a sense of humor
Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment and prioritize while working under multiple deadlines
Outgoing and professional demeanor for interacting with a wide range of individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance, 401K plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax transit program, and liberal vacation policy.
About Us: Since 1990, the Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, has been committed to the premise that no New Yorker should be denied access to justice because of poverty, and that the private bar can provide a powerful force to ensure equal access through its pro bono efforts. Learn more about the VLP by visiting our website: www.BrooklynVLP.org.
Application: Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Jobs@Brooklynvlp.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
The Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project is an equal opportunity employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required