Role & Responsibilities
Manage the development and implementation of the Jordan programmes and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country programme strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the programmes and support functions, the Deputy Country Director plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance and team leadership.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Syria, Medair’s programme in Jordan is delivering emergency assistance to refugees in non-camp settings and vulnerable host communities in northern Jordan. Projects are in the sectors of Health, Protection and cash transfer and Psychosocial support services.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Amman, Jordan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Jordan.
- Amman and surrounding areas offer a wide range of opportunities for exploring Jordan’s heritage.
- The team lives in comfortable apartments located near the office, which offer space for privacy.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Programme Management & Programme Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications between the programme teams and the support functions.
- Support in all aspects of project management, administrative, financial, human resource and logistics management, ensuring adherence to applicable operational systems and donor requirements.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure all in-country legal requirements are met including registration, reporting, insurance, work permits, contracts, etc., liaising as necessary with government departments and other official bodies.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
- Maintain an overview of the country context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure information is transmitted in a professional manner.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Facilitate regular team meetings and develop and build an effective team.
- Provide staff with leadership, advice training and support.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Ensure all staff members and visitors receive on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the programme locations are updated and implemented.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- At least 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Advanced leadership, management and communications skills.
- Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated, energetic and servant-hearted.