3003 Washington Blvd
The Common Application is a not-for-profit membership organization of more than 750 colleges and universities in the United States and around the world. Since 1975, The Common Application has been committed to the pursuit of access, equity, and integrity in the college admission process. Each year, over 1 million students use the Common Application online system to submit more than 4.5 million applications.
The Controller is responsible for all financial related transactions and will support the organization’s operations. S/He will report to the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer (CFAO) and will communicate regularly with the rest of the leadership team. A successful candidate will plan and direct all day-to-day accounting operations and procedures including, but not limited to, general ledger accounting maintenance, accounts payable and receivable management, financial statement preparation and analysis, budgeting and reforecasting, as well as ongoing refinement of the financial information system. The position is hands-on and requires a clear, concise communicator with strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills to foster effective working relationships amongst staff and management.
The ideal candidate must be self-motivated, conscientious and detail-oriented. It is critical that the selected individual is committed to the accuracy and timeliness of financial information. This is the ideal position for a mission-driven individual who thrives working in a collaborative and collegial workplace learning from, with, and among smart, interesting, and fun professionals.
Reports to the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer
Essential Responsibilities / Duties:
· Oversee all aspects of the accounting function.
· Maintain a positive relationship with members, vendors, and internal customers.
· Direct the month-end close process including account reconciliations and financial reporting.
· Process semi-monthly payroll and record payroll transactions.
· Assist HR with benefits management, FSA, 403(b), etc.
· Oversee the collection of time reporting to accurately account for capitalized software development costs. Calculate and record monthly capitalization of new costs and the amortization of accumulated costs.
· Oversee the financial reporting for third party grants, as necessary.
· Maintain financial dashboards reflecting monthly revenue and expenses by department. Analyze data and make recommendations for efficiency and cost savings measures.
· Manage the annual audit and preparation of the Form 990 as well as quarterly compilations.
· Accurately forecast, analyze and report revenue, expenses, and cash flow.
· Assist the CFAO in developing detailed financial models to provide long term (2-3 year) financial projections.
· Prepare annual budgets and periodic reforecasts in conjunction with the Executive team.
· Serve as the main contact for billing, reporting, and finance applications.
· Collaborate with the Senior Management Team to ensure vendor, consultant and contracts are reviewed, executed and on file.
· Manage the day to day activities of the Staff Accountant and oversee his/her professional development.
· Reconcile quarterly GL salaries to the 941 federal and state tax reports.
· Maintain accounting policies and procedures documentation.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
· Bachelors in Accounting or Finance required.
· CPA preferred, but not required.
· Previous experience (5+ years) in a not-for-profit membership or similar industry - strong preference for professional services, association management, or technology services business background.
· In-depth experience and familiarity with not-for-profit GAAP and accounting practices.
· Experience in business planning, budgeting process for the business, financial analysis, and forecasting.
· Experience with Sage Intacct financial management software a plus.
· Experience with third-party (Paychex/Paychex Flex, ADP etc.) payroll processing applications preferred.
· Excellent working knowledge of Excel, strong communication, presentation and interpersonal skills (written and oral).
· Attention to detail, analytical, project management skills, customer service, documentation and technical writing skills.
· A strong work ethic and willingness to work with others across the organization to advance the mission.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and generous contributions to a retirement deferred savings plan. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our staff, where people can learn and grow. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To respond to this opportunity, send resume with cover letter to: