About Youth Radio:
Headquartered in Oakland, CA, Youth Radio is a one-of-a-kind, youth-driven production company which, through a variety of outlets including our own platform, reaches audiences in the tens of millions. YR is the winner of multiple journalism honors including the Peabody, Columbia-Dupont, Kennedy, Murrow, and White House Awards.
We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of Youth Radio.
At Youth Radio we hire smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard working, creative, fun and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person and consider it a great opportunity to collaborate with them to create something new and important.
About the Role:
The Chief Operating Officer is a key member of the executive management team initially reporting to YR’s President and eventually to the Executive Director. The COO will rely on strong operational and financial expertise to guide us through this time of growth and rebranding. He/she will provide the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that Youth Radio has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The position will accomplish this through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the objectives and strategic business plan of the organization.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management that mirrors the adopted mission and core values of Youth Radio.
- Work closely with the President and Executive Director to drive the organization to achieve and surpass business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all organizational processes. Utilizing analytics and data driven programs, provide timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the organization.
- As part of the executive management team, spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Collaborate with the executive management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of Youth Radio.
- Motivate a high performance management team; provide mentoring as a cornerstone to the management career development program.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the organization.
- Develop organizational wide systems that ensure the protection of Youth Radio’s owned facility and operating platforms.
- Directly manage the organization’s Finance, HR and IT departments, providing leadership and direction to these departments.
Required Education and Experience
- 10+ years of strong operational experience at the management level.
- 10+ years of finance experience or overseeing a finance department with demonstrated knowledge of non-profit financial structure
- Facilities Management experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing organizational systems.
- Experience leading teams and evaluating outcomes against strategic goals and business plan.
- Experience in performance based management and creating an exciting and supportive work experience for staff.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previously held COO position.
- Master’s degree in business or related field.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis with previous experience overseeing finance, human resources, information technology, and legal.
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to organizational mission.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
Youth Radio is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Youth Radio complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has employees.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.