Details: starting pay $18/hr
District of Columbia
Program Instructors: 2017 – 2018
August 2018 - June 2019
We are looking for energetic individuals to lead our innovative after-school programs at DC public and public charter schools. Reach Incorporated develops confident readers and capable leaders by training teens to teach. Through this unique approach, we’re able to create significant growth for both our adolescent tutors and the elementary school students they teach. Instructors, in teams of two, lead training sessions (Mondays and Wednesdays) and supervise tutoring sessions (Tuesdays and Thursdays). By making learning both meaningful and fun, Reach is able to create dramatic reading improvement for program participants, both tutors and students. Want to help create readers and leaders? Apply by sending your resume. Monthly stipend provided. Must be available Monday through Thursday afternoons between 3:30 - 5:30pm (program times vary by site assignment).
Support Tutors (25%)
- Model good instruction when leading tutor training sessions
- Support tutors in becoming effective instructors.
- Build relationships with tutors.
- Assess tutor performance using the Reach points system.
- Use available funds to plan at least two tutor outings during the year.
Supervise Tutoring Sessions (25%)
- Support tutors in providing effective literacy instruction.
- Ensure that tutors are leading tutoring sessions
- Build positive program culture.
- Address behavior or learning challenges that hinder reading growth.
Prepare for Program Sessions (20%)
- Prepare for all sessions by reviewing the curriculum.
- Prepare any materials, as needed for each session.
- Ensure all necessary supplies are available.
- Participate in staff training and individual meetings to improve practice.
Contribute to Program Improvement (20%)
- Provide feedback, when requested, on opportunities for program improvement.
- Submit attendance and other anecdotal data to Reach on a weekly basis.
- Using our EAGER framework, set and work toward monthly goals.
Parent Engagement (10%)
- Communicate with program parents at the beginning of the year and on an ongoing basis to report progress.
- Record all parent contacts in Reach database.
* Reach’s EAGER framework is used to periodically assess tutor performance based on Engagement, Academic Excellence, Grit, Enthusiasm and Responsibility.
Minimum Education Required