We are Survival International, the global movement for tribal and indigenous peoples. Through our advocacy campaigns, we help them defend their lives, protect their lands and determine their own futures.
Survival International USA is recruiting a program assistant for its Oakland office to support the development of Survival's presence and activities in the United States. This position will assist the director in all aspects of Survival International’s work through a wide range of tasks including media outreach, liaising with supporters, foundation management, and completing administrative tasks as needed.
This is an opportunity to play an active role in growing Survival International’s North American office and be at the heart of increasing exposure and support base in the region for our work.
Successful applicants will be extremely flexible, versatile, have exceptional verbal and written communication skills and be able to work both collaboratively on their own.
The position includes a wide variety of tasks that may change as organizational priorities evolve:
· Assist in day-to-day operations of the office (managing donations, filing documents, etc.)
· Assist in the preparation of events, conferences, general meetings, etc.
· Seek new audiences and media outlets for our campaigns and messages
· Find festivals, conferences, debates and other events to attend
· Assist in writing grant applications and reports
· Strengthen Survival’s online presence
· Manage donations and relationships with supporters
· Help with developing new outreach campaigns
· Assist with fundraising strategies
· Respond to general inquiries
Desired Experience and Skills
· In general, we are less interested in formal qualifications than individual skills, a demonstrated ability take on a variety of tasks with efficiency and motivation, a willingness to learn and enthusiasm for the position.
· Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented work ethic
· Demonstrated commitment to Survival International's vision, mission, and values
· Experience working in the field related to human rights and/or campaigning
· Strong writing skills and basic accounting skills (Please note that there will be a test during the interview phase to evaluate your abilities to write in a professional setting and to perform basic spreadsheet tasks.)
· Solid software skills (Microsoft Office, etc.)
· Ability and readiness to occasionally work outside regular hours, if required
· An enthusiastic and personable manner – energetic and committed
· Social media experience
· Familiarity with nonprofit administration
· Experience working with Salesforce or similar CRMs
What we can offer you
This is a dynamic position where you will have excellent opportunities to develop skills, evolve professionally, and develop the scope of your role with Survival. Survival's Oakland branch is a newly developing office and your work and presence in our organization will directly impact the office's goals and operations going forward.
When you join Survival International, you’re getting more than just a career: you’re gaining a unique opportunity to join an exciting human rights advocacy organization. You will be working with an international team of passionate people in six offices who care about human rights and want to change the status quo.
Salary range: $40-45k per year, depending on qualifications and experience.
Benefits include health coverage, generous vacation time and sick leave, and an annual expenses-covered trip to London.
First review date: September 24, 2018 but applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Candidates should submit a resume (2 pages max.), cover letter (1 page max.) and completed application form to: email@example.com
Application form can be found at: https://survivalinternational.org/info/work
Survival International USA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required