9601 Bujacich Rd NW
Gig Harbor, WA
Prison Pet Partnership (PPP) (www.prisonpetpartnership.org) is seeking a full time Dog Training Program Manager. Founded in 1983, PPP was the pioneer program in the field of inmate rehabilitation through the benefits of the human-animal bond. Located entirely within the grounds of a state women’s correctional facility, PPP provides vocational education to women inmates in a full service boarding and grooming facility and teaches women inmates to rehabilitate homeless dogs as companion pets and train service dogs for individuals with disabilities.
PPP is an accredited member of Assistance Dogs International and is known for its strength in teaching women inmates to train and place service, therapy and companion animals using both purpose-bred and rescued dogs. The management level position of Dog Training Program Manager is responsible for leading a program team of 16 - 20 staff, including inmate trainers and a program assistant.
As an active member of the PPP management team, the Dog Training Program Manager represents and communicates the program needs, successes, and challenges to the Board of Directors, Management Team, and staff. This position reports directly to the Executive Director. Strength-based leadership skills, team management, and experience within the assistance dog industry are required. In addition, preference will be given to candidates who have experience with training rescued dogs and service dogs (using positive reinforcement techniques), management of a responsible breeding program, and experience working with individuals who have disabilities.
Job Title: Dog Training Program Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
General Description: The Dog Training Program Manager works as a member of the management team to plan, implement and oversee all aspects of the dog program dog training program in alignment with the organization’s mission, vision and strategic plan. This is a full time exempt position
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for the development, implementation and oversight of dog training programTraining program includes ADI accredited service dog program, train-to-adopt rescue dogs (Paroled Pets), and training of privately owned dogs.
- Management of all program animals including but not limited to, selection of animals, behavior assessment and management, training, and health care.
- Provide, coordinate and oversee instruction of inmates and volunteers in dog training and animal behavior to ensure that dogs meet established standards of training prior to placement.
- Develop, implement and oversee the breeding program with the goal of augmenting service dog placement. This includes recruitment, selection, training and oversight of puppy foster families
Client and Community Relations
- Directly responsible for conducting pre-placement interviews, team training and regular follow-up with clients in alignment with standards established by Assistance Dogs International (ADI)
- Liaise with animal welfare organizations, veterinarians, breeders, ADI Breeding Cooperative, Department of Corrections staff, vendors and others as they relate to the dog training program.
- Preparing program for routine ADI reaccreditation surveys to include maintaining program standards, documentation and survey logistics
- Represent the organization at community events and fund raising activities to enhance the program’s community profile.
- Assist Executive Director with annual preparation of dog training program budget and operate
- Assist with fund development for dog training program including grant writing, reporting, and special events
- Development of all written materials on behalf of the dog training program to include those for program use and organizational use such as social media and newsletters
- Contribute to the success of the program by meeting organizational competency expectations, continuously learning, and by performing other duties as needed or assigned
- Bachelor Degree preferred. Associate Degree in related field plus experience considered.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in training dogs at all life stages and placement of service dogs
- Experience in training, behavior modification and placement of rescue dogs.
- Knowledge and experience with dog reproductive health, responsible breeding and whelping practices.
- Experience working with individuals with physical and developmental disabilities.
- Skill and competence in supervising others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the needs of and training of dogs for people with mobility disabilities and seizure disorders
- Working knowledge of volunteer programs
- Ability to communicate with or supervise inmates, staff, clients, management and the public in a variety of situations
- Ability to work within the confines of a prison
- Skill and competence in the use of personal computers including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office applications and e-mail
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to set priorities and use good judgment
- Ability to obtain a valid Washington State driver’s license
- Must meet any requirements established for this position by the Washington State Department of Corrections
The employee will find themselves lifting/moving items up to 40 pounds. This position may also involve handling dogs of all sizes with varying degrees of training.
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties, functions, and qualifications. They are not intended to be comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and therefore their description may not reflect the precise nature of the position at a given point in time.
It is the Prison Pet Partnership Program’s policy to base hiring solely on the individual’s ability to perform essential job functions. Persons with disabilities are eligible for this position provided they can perform those functions with reasonable accommodation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are a positive and motivated individual and feel you might be a good candidate for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Training Program Manager” in the subject line.
Position opened until filled. Priority given to applications received on or before November 16, 2018