The Alliance for Children’s Rights is seeking a Senior Policy Associate to support the organization in the areas of local government advocacy, strategic planning, public education, communications, and media relations. The Senior Policy Associate will be focused primarily on systemic change relevant to children living in foster care and in poverty in Los Angeles County. The Senior Policy Associate engages in legislative and regulatory advocacy, litigation, and communication efforts ensuring successful implementation of statewide reforms in Los Angeles County and assisting in the development and implementation of systemic solutions specific to Los Angeles County.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Alliance for Children’s Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth. Our lawyers, advocates and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, ensure that children who are at-risk or in foster care have safe, stable homes and can access the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. We also help transition age youth overcome barriers to their stability and success, and we work statewide to improve child welfare practices and policies in order to remove the many obstacles that our clients face. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children.
Charity Navigator has awarded the Alliance its highest 4-star rating for the past nine years in a row. This puts the Alliance in the top 2% of charities in the U.S. rated by Charity Navigator. The 4-star rating reflects the Alliance’s sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
The Alliance is well known in the child welfare community for its knowledge, expertise, and accomplishments. Alliance staff members and our partnering pro bono attorneys are advocates for our most vulnerable children and their caregivers.
The Senior Policy Associate will:
• Collaborate with Policy and Program Staff and the broader child welfare advocacy community to identify and track child welfare practices and policies that adversely impact our clients within Los Angeles County and help to establish organizational priorities and responses to those practices and policies
• Conduct research and analysis on policy issues related to child welfare and poverty and synthesize complex legislative and policy proposals for a variety of audiences including legal services staff, agency staff, legislative staff, judicial officers, and the public
• Review, draft, and provide written comments and/or testimony on pending legislation, regulations, and other state and county policies (such as county policies, ordinances, and All County Letters)
• Develop position papers, policy briefs, fact sheets, training materials, advocacy tools and other communications materials
• Develop and present trainings to legal and social service providers, legislative staff, and community-based organizations
• Work closely and develop partnerships with the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, the Department of Children and Family Services, Los Angeles County Probation, the Office of Child Protection, the courts, and other agencies
• Lead and participate on countywide task forces and stakeholder meetings to engage other stakeholders in our priority issues
• Recruit allies at the state, regional, and local level to assist with and contribute to policy and advocacy efforts
• Represent the Alliance at meetings and conferences
• Assist in media relations
• Work with the Chief Development Officer to develop funding prospects and proposals to advance the policy and program agenda
• Work with the Pro Bono Manager to identify firms to support our policy priorities through research, and supervise and provide technical support to firms engaged to support the policy program
• Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES
• Experience with local government, advocacy, campaigns, outreach, public education, and media preferred
• Excellent communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills
• Excellent research, writing, and analytical skills
• Ability and willingness to facilitate and build collaborative working relationships with elected officials, community groups, and policy makers
• Comprehensive knowledge of child welfare laws and mastery of the laws in one or more of the Alliance’s core program areas preferred
• Knowledge of federal, state, and county government systems
• Bachelor of Arts required, Master of Public Policy Administration or J.D., preferred
• Ability to multi-task competing priorities
• Ability to work independently and strategically
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is seeking a Senior Policy Associate to support the organization in the areas of local government advocacy, strategic planning, public education, communications, and media relations…
The Alliance for Children's Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or marital status.
The above statements are of a general nature and are intended to describe the level of work being performed by people assigned to comparable positions. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
The Alliance for Children's Rights offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For more information, visit kids-alliance.org.
The Alliance for Children's Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants…
To be considered, please submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines your interest in joining the Alliance, relevant work experience, and how you heard of the position to Ines Rosales at email@example.com (E-mail submissions only/no phone inquiries). Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined qualifications of the position.
To be considered, please submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines your interest in joining the Alliance, relevant work experience, and how you heard of the position to Ines…