The Executive Assistant position is a dynamic position that ensures the optimal operation of all administrative functions of the executive office at Spirit Rock Meditation Center. This person will play a key role supporting both the Spirit Rock’s Executive Director (ED) and Deputy Director (DD), enabling the best use of their time, efforts, and leadership in stewarding the entire ten-million-dollar organization.
Primary responsibilities entail running a wide range of administrative and operational systems and tasks, including providing daily-hourly support to the Executive Director and Deputy Director with short-order administrative tasks, draft communications, taking minutes and managing follow-up from meetings, project management, and other as needed often variable efforts. The Executive Assistant will also manage project completion of strategic initiatives, activities, meetings, and events in accordance with the ED’s and DD’s organization-wide objectives.
This is a perfect opportunity for an experienced Executive Assistant looking to make a significant impact in a highly productive nonprofit organization promoting mindfulness and Buddhist practice.
Administrative Support to Executive Director and Deputy Director (70%)
- Provides the full range of hourly/daily highly responsive and fast-paced administrative support to the ED and DD including anticipating, preventing, and solving problems as they arise quickly and effectively
- Prepares materials for relevant ED and/or DD meetings including minutes, agenda, and meeting packets; ensures timely follow-up of next steps and action items
- Drafts, edits, and proofs key internal communications, memos, emails, and creates PPT presentations and/or documents with strong visuals/graphics to effectively communicate with large groups of people internally or externally in the community
- Prioritizes and manages multiple executive-level projects simultaneously
- For all matters concerning the Executive office, discerns who the appropriate decision-maker is and ensures decisions are made or redirected to the appropriate party
- Follows through on action items on ED and DD behalf by communicating with stakeholders
- Coordinates workflow as needed between the ED and DD and the teams they manage
- Builds and maintains exceptional and cooperative working relationships organization-wide
Board of Directors and Governance Support (30%)
- Acts as primary contact for all Board and Committee members
- Send Outlook calendar requests, meeting reminders and maintain RSVP lists.
- Tracks and develops meeting agendas in conjunction with ED and Committee Chairs
- Hosts virtual meetings and manage waiting room, share screen, breakout groups
- Takes minutes at meetings, distributes, and follows up on action items
- Assists Board members with administrative requests
- Partners as needed with the Administrative Support role for Programs/Faculty/Guiding Teachers Committee
- Manages non-profit governance calendars, systems, and a trove of documents including bylaws, strategic and DEI plans, committee lists, etc.
- Five (5) or more years supporting “C” level executives, preferably in a non-profit environment with experience working with a Board of Directors
- Extensive experience handling a wide range of administrative support functions requiring a high level of skill and self-management
- Expert skills in Microsoft Office suite required; experience with Zoom (or other videoconferencing systems), Survey Monkey, Adobe Acrobat, and Raisers Edge strongly preferred.
- Experience managing multiple priorities using higher-level thinking with minimal supervision.
- Sincere alignment with Spirit Rock’s mission and values required; knowledge of Theravada teachings and ability to communicate about Buddhism and meditation practice is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree highly preferred or a combination of education and work experience.
Key Qualities and Abilities
- Proactive, highly organized, hard-working team player
- Values clear instruction and directness
- Outstanding communication skills (written & verbal)
- Respects complete confidentiality of sensitive stakeholder relationships and communications
- Thrives in a rigorous and fast-paced non-profit work environment
- Possesses superb time management and prioritization skills
- Detail-oriented, while able to grasp high-level executive work and strategy
- Ability to promote a positive organizational culture and fulfillment