Vice President of Program
Dignity and Power Now (DPN) is a grassroots organization based in Los Angeles that fights for the dignity and power of incarcerated people, their families, and communities. In doing so, DPN wages a fight for everyone because the prison industrial complex forms an imaginative limit on
everyone’s capacity to envision freedom and liberation.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Vice President (VP) of Program is responsible for program leadership, planning and delivery, knowledge management and relationship building both within and outside DPN. Serving on behalf of the Executive Director, the VP of programs will have the strategic and operational responsibility for all program areas. This position will be a part of the senior management team that drives the organization’s overall strategy and operations. The VP, Program’s role requires an individual who understands and is passionate about the mission and vision of the organization, exemplifies DPN core values, and can articulate DPN’s mission on a local, regional, and national basis. The successful candidate will initially develop deep knowledge of each DPN campaign, project, program operations, and business plan, and will focus on the following areas: program leadership and management, Strategy, program impact, external relationships, and knowledge management.
Program Leadership & Management
• Work closely with the Executive Director in creating the overall program strategy and mission
• Enhance, flesh out, and implement organizational vision as established in DPN’s Strategic Plan.
• Demonstrate consistent quality of program systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the program goals.
• Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, develop high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
• Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project/program management.
• Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth. • Defines financial needs and maintains budget parameters
• Develop and lead program strategy to advance DPN’s mission
• Critical in identifying, framing and executing the key programmatic goals and objectives of all programs
• Establishes and maintain high-level contacts with a wide variety of individuals and groups who are in position to compel/promote DPN story, mission and goals
• Utilizes analytical metrics for monitoring results and improving performance
• Articulates and establishes measurable goals, objectives, and metrics for assessing, reporting, and improving impact
• Work with Development team, participates in fundraising idea generation to donor stewardship to proposal development to organizational promotion and accountability
• Partners with all department leads to ensure that performance management remains a priority to foster high-performing staff, and to see that all staff have opportunities to learn and grow in their roles
• Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing programs and the growth of DPN; cultivate existing relationships and develop new funder relationships.
• Manages relationships with partner organizations from the advocacy, association, public policy, philanthropy, research, and other spheres
• Provide exposure for program impact in a variety of professional journals and other media outlets. Ideally, this person will have served as an effective spokesperson at the national level.
• Serves as an ambassador, spokesperson, and high-profile organizational leader before a wide range of stakeholder audiences and in the media.
• Develop innovative initiatives and the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs.
• Develop dissemination system to share organizational learning with a broad range of communities.
• Ensure that key project outcomes and/or policy, advocacy, and legislation are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
• Work collaboratively with the senior management team to integrate cross program activities and functions.
• Essential Training:
o 10-15 years’ experience of campaign and program management with demonstrated success managing multiple and complex projects/programs.
o Experience in or knowledge of non-profit organization
o Advanced management experience o Computer literate (Advanced computer skills)
• Program Leadership and Management: o Hands-on approach in leading a variety of initiatives. o Have a track record of effectively leading a performance-based and outcome-based program and staff. o Developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth
• Team Building and Development:
o Have managed, and developed a strong team of staff, program/project managers, and development professionals.
o Served as a “player/coach” to motivate and mentor team leads
• Exceptional Communication and Influencing Skills:
o Ability to be a voice/advocate for DPN
o Strong written and verbal communication skills- Be a persuasive, credible, and polished communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary program skills.
o Proficiency in program and project management applications using available data for analysis
o Ability to work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners and other organizations
o Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management with the ability to achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
o Strong demonstrated experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, foundations, and funders
o Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people o Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for DPN’s mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a management team of senior professionals
o Solid judgment and apparent leadership skills
o A team player, who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment
o Experience in handling a variety of constituencies, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities
o Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside DPN
o Impeccable integrity and strong work ethic
o Strong analytical skills; basic business intuition, and common sense
‘Dignity and Power Now’ is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We welcome all qualified applicants, including formerly incarcerated individuals. We are proud to comply with Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (LA Ord. 184652)
Vice President of Program
Dignity and Power Now (DPN) is a grassroots organization based in Los Angeles that fights for the dignity and power of incarcerated people, their families, and communities. In doing so, DPN wages a fight for everyone…