Requisition ID: req2835
Job Title: Program Officer
Sector: Violence Prevention and Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
BACKGROUND/SUMMARY: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world's worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The IRC is one of the first humanitarian organisations to bring together specific disciplines involved in violence prevention and response (VPR) in conflict affected settings to ensure collaborative and still specialized support to survivors and those at risk of violence. Over the past 20 years, the IRC has pioneered and implemented programs that prevent and respond to violence against women and children, as well as other vulnerable groups in refugee settings and in other conflict-affected contexts, making the IRC a global leader in this field. The IRC presently implements programming in partnership with local communities to meet the safety, health and psychosocial needs of women, children and others experiencing violence, exploitation and abuse in contexts of conflict and displacement. The IRC manages VPR programmes in 26 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Haiti, with funding from governments, the UN, foundations, and private donors. Since 2010, the IRC has been building its work with local partners to advance emergency preparedness and emergency response capacity in the field, specific to the response to gender-based violence (GBV).
The Program Officer supports VPRU projects promoting the empowerment and safety and women and adolescents, women's movement-building, prevention of violence against women and girls, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse in humanitarian settings. In this role, the Program Officer will travel to East Africa, the Middle East and Southeast Asia to support technical workshops and learning events. The Program Officer is a member of VPRU and reports to the VPRU Deputy Director of Operations. The Program Officer has a dotted line to the IRC Communications team in the UK.
Partner coordination and event support (45%)
- Lead the coordination and logistics for all major events, internal and external meetings, project workshops, and travel. This includes coordinating and booking travel for participants coming from all over the globe.
- Travel to major, multi-partner events to handle all on-site logistics (as related to participant travel, venue liaison and contracting, etc.); and capture minutes and key documentation where necessary/relevant.
- Lead the development of internal and external communication products related to the relevant projects and areas of work. This may include writing stories for online publication, developing content for social media, podcasts or other media, engaging with high profile public figures, and producing regular activity updates to share with external partners.
- Liaise and coordinate with the VPRU Emergency Preparedness Specialist, WPE STAs, IRC Communications teams, and external partners on the above products.
- Project manage or assist in the management and implementation of key dissemination events.
Contracts and compliance (15%)
- Liaise with the IRC Global Supply Chain, Compliance, Finance and country offices for contracting related to event venues, translation services, consultants, etc., as required for project deliverables.
- Lead on Anti-Terrorism Checks and other compliance processes for partners, and ensure the timely delivery of cash awards for local partners.
- Support administrative needs for related projects, in collaboration with the wider VPRU Operations team.
- Contribute to ongoing VPRU Operations team tasks as required.
Key Working Relationships:
Position reports to: VPRU Deputy Director of Operations
Position directly supervises: IRC Communications UK
Indirect reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Regular relationships with VPRU technical specialists, country support TAs, and Operations team. Close coordination with IRC Policy & Advocacy and Communications stakeholders.
External: Relationships with local and regional civil society networks; and with other INGO, academic and UN partners.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Educated to undergraduate level
- Understanding of programme management tools and approaches, including logframes, monitoring and evaluation and risk management
- Self-driven with excellent levels of personal organisation, time management and attention to detail
- Ability to produce compelling written content and understand compelling visual content for external audiences
- Excellent relationship management skills, including with senior and high profile figures
- Strong understanding of public, media and online debates about humanitarian and gender issues
- Ability to handle pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the organisation
- Experience of contract management and compliance
- Excellent written English and proven experience of synthesising complex information into clear and concise reports
- Experience of writing material for a range of medium, including for websites
- Experience with visual and video content for websites or social media a bonus
Minimum Education Required