Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
In response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Yemen, Medair will expand its activities focussed on delivering life-saving health and nutrition services to conflict affected communities. Medair projects include primary healthcare and public health interventions as well as implementing community management of acute malnutrition and WASH. Medair works in partnership with ZOA. ZOA will provide other WASH activities in the same communities.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Al-Dhale, Yemen.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months. Medair experience requested.
Key Activity Areas
- Monitor and review the security status on a regular basis, liaising with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies. Make reports, as appropriate, to the Country Director.
- Ensure all staff and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for Al-Dhale are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation. Train Project Manager in security planning, management, implementation and monitoring.
- Regularly review the security infrastructure of the assigned base with the Country Director and SMT.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated project(s) in consultation with Project Manager(s) and with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Manage an activity plan for the designated project covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop with senior field managers, an implementation strategy in line to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors, line managers and any other bodies.
- Ensure all relevant documents related to the designated project(s) are produced according to Medair.**
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, partner NGOs, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security).
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely manner.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects, in collaboration with the relevant Project Manager(s) and Sector Advisers and in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Working with the relevant Project Manager(s), ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Country Director. Working with the Finance and HR Manager regarding base budgets and expenditure.
- Monitor the spending of the designated project(s) to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc. If applicable, work with the relevant Project Manager(s).
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated project(s) by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Provide oversight and line manage the Project Manager(s) and Sr. M&E Officer.
- Promote the Medair e-library, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure designated project(s) are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in line with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc. Follow the direction of advisors at GSO regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- 3 years overseas work experience with a relief and rehabilitation NGO or other agency engaged in humanitarian aid. Experience of security management in previous roles. Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Good report and proposal writing skills.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian / emergency programmes.