Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of people with autism and their families. We do this through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of people with autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Come join us as a VP of Services and Supports in New York City!
PURPOSE: The Vice President, Services and Supports, is responsible for developing and implementing an evidence-based program of work for Autism Speaks that provides strategic information and support services to people with autism and their families across the spectrum and at pivotal points in the developmental trajectory across the lifespan.
Guided by Autism Speaks 10-year vision and strategic plan, this position will identify best practices in autism service delivery and work to widely disseminate across the autism community. Within a changing environment, the role will build new opportunities, serve as the organization’s lead spokesperson to provide immediate answers to high level, cross-functional questions and provide direction for mission delivery in this area in collaboration with research, public health, and advocacy functions.
· Oversee and develop scalable programs that provide information and support services to the autism community, with an emphasis on assisting individuals and families understand their options and access relevant public and private services. This includes oversight and optimization of current programing such as the Autism Speaks Autism Resource Team and Adult Services, the latter including vocational, housing and healthcare-transition support.
· Serve as a key member of the leadership team and partner with the CSO and other leadership to ensure alignment on all programmatic communication and messaging.
· Evaluate existing Autism Speaks programs and services and insure all future programs, information, and interventions are evidence-based and impactful
· Participate in the strategic plan and business plan process to help envision and implement programs, policies and models that provide the most good to the most people.
· Influence multiple stakeholders including care providers, state and federal policy makers, consumers, and program and organization leadership.
· Partner with national and regional health care and service provider leaders to influence promotion of autism supportive care; identify opportunities for co-sponsorship and partnership. Cultivate and maximize the benefits of external relationships, including community organizations, donors, volunteers and government agencies. Partner with other organization functional operations to collaboratively develop and manage such relationships to maximize benefits from alliances across the Association.
· Serve as a spokesperson for the organization
· Help develop and direct the execution of programs, policies and services as they relate to the organization’s related mission objectives.
(The responsibilities listed above are representative and not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s.)
Experience & General Requirements
· Minimum of 5 years of service provider or clinical experience environment; 18 + years of experience with progressive responsibility in a related field, broadly defined
· Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the autism field
· Relevant PhD and/or BCBA preferred, minimum of MA/MSc required
· Demonstrated understanding of the disability and/or VHA category of the non-profit sector
· Strong awareness of public policy issues as they relate to services and supports, including the effects of local, state, or federal agencies on autism care and support
· Senior management experience
· Experience in creation, execution and evaluation of programs, including design, budget development, business planning and evaluation. Extensive experience in developing evidence-based programs and curriculum is required.
· Experience building relationships and coalitions with other organizations across sectors.
· Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed, and to travel nationally as required (estimated travel is 25 - 35%).
Knowledge / Skills
· Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with strong influencing and collaboration capabilities.
· Superior written and verbal communication skills including public speaking and the ability to represent the organization in high profile public settings
· Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations.
· Strong analytical skills and ability to think strategically and creatively.
· Ability to make creative use of available resources and proactively develop new ones. Superior multi-tasking abilities, with ability to move seamlessly between environments and activities.
· Prior business perspective necessary, to successfully align communications strategies with organizational imperatives.
· A demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit, with the ability to create the new approaches and offerings our constituents will need and the acumen to oversee and drive measurably successful outcomes that match the scale of those impacted by autism.
· Knowledge of autism and related issues with demonstrated evidence of ability to transfer knowledge into program development across the organization.
· Demonstrated ability to influence multiple stakeholders including care providers, policy makers, consumers, and program and organization leadership through written and oral communication as demonstrated through successful initiatives and professional presentations, or other related endeavors.
· Ability to think analytically and strategically to identify and evaluate service and outreach trends for persons with autism and their care partners and care givers.
· Proven ability to effectively lead, coach, and develop staff, as well as manage budget.
· Strong affinity for Autism Speaks mission and vision that translates into authentic compassion for people with autism and those who care for them
· Alignment with our core values
· Building Collaborative Relationships
· Professional Behavior
· Results Driven
· Customer Orientation
Autism Speaks offers a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to enhance lives today and accelerate a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow for individuals with autism and their families.
For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter.
Only those applicants who meet the hiring criteria will be considered and contacted by Human Resources. Autism Speaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for job openings. Reasonable accommodations will be provided.
Minimum Education Required