Non-Profit Director of Finance
A successful and growing San Francisco historic preservation non-profit organization is seeking a full-time accounting professional to work in our newly-renovated historic museum/administrative offices at the Haas-Lilienthal House in Pacific Heights. The Director of Finance is a new, high-level management position who will oversee finance and accounting across the organization, maintaining and designing appropriate accounting and finance procedures and systems based on best practices in non-profit accounting. An effective communicator and strategic thinker, the Director of Finance will provide critical input on business planning and operations to the President/CEO and board of directors.
About San Francisco Heritage
Established in 1971, San Francisco Heritage, or SF Heritage, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership organization with a mission to preserve and enhance San Francisco’s unique architectural and cultural identity. This includes advocacy for historic resources, education programs, and tours and rental of the 1886 Haas-Lilienthal House – San Francisco’s only Victorian-era house museum.
In 2017, SF Heritage successfully completed its first-ever, $4.3 million capital campaign to restore and rehabilitate the Haas-Lilienthal House. In 2018, SF Heritage was gifted a second historic property, The Doolan-Larson Residence and Storefronts (at the corner of Haight and Ashbury), including six occupied commercial storefronts on Haight Street. The Director of Finance will work with the President/CEO and board of directors to build and execute an operational model and long-term financial plan to improve and manage these historic properties.
SF Heritage currently has seven full-time staff and an annual budget of $1.1 million. For more information, visit www.sfheritage.org.
The new Director of Finance position is a key part of the SF Heritage management team and requires a friendly, reliable, and proactive individual. The primary responsibilities are listed below. Qualified candidates will have direct experience in each of these areas and will be able to independently carry out these functions.
· Full cycle bookkeeping and fund accounting
· Monthly close, adjusting entries, and reconciliation
· Budget planning and preparation, and audit management
· Finance committee reporting
· Local tax and license filings
· Business insurance management
· HR management and benefits administration
· Grants management and reporting
· Tax returns (including federal 990 form)
· Annual Cultural Data Profile (CDP) submission through DataArts
The Director of Finance position is a full-scope accounting position and requires both meticulous bookkeeping and expert financial management skills. Heritage’s former Fiscal Manager will provide training.
SF Heritage offers a competitive full-time salary. Employee benefits include vacation, sick time, holiday pay, and health insurance allowance. SF Heritage will consider a remote work situation for part of the workweek. We also have parking available.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
· Ability to communicate effectively with staff, President/CEO, and board of directors, and to translate their requests into action as well as proactively suggest operational improvements
· Demonstrated track record of taking full ownership of both large and small projects and seeing them through to a successful conclusion
· Quickbooks, MS Office, and basic PC troubleshooting
· Five (5) years of experience in the areas of nonprofit accounting, finance, and contracts management.
How to Apply:
To help conserve our limited staff resources, we ask that you do not send your information if you do not meet the minimum requirements listed above. We are only able to consider candidates with non-profit experience using Quickbooks.
Please submit resume and a short cover letter describing:
· Why you are excited by this position
· How your existing skills and experience would benefit SF Heritage
· Your salary requirements
Please send resume and cover letter to Claire Flanegin at email@example.com and include “Director of Finance” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
Minimum Education Required