Details: We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, a generous benefits package, and a pleasant work environment.
Firelight Media is a non profit organization dedicated to developing emerging documentary filmmakers who tell stories about people, places, cultures and issues that are underrepresented in the mainstream media, and to developing audiences for their work. Firelight’s key programs include the Documentary Lab, a flagship mentorship program that seeks out and develops emerging diverse filmmakers, and the Impact & Engagement Lab, which harnesses the power of documentaries to educate, motivate and inspire diverse audiences through strategic partnerships, powerful events, online engagement and training for organizers.
Our sister organization, Firelight Films, is award-winning filmmaker Stanley Nelson’s film production company. Recent projects include: The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution, Through The Fire: The Legacy of Barack Obama, and Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Black Colleges and Universities. We are currently in production for a film on the Transatlantic Slave Trade.
Firelight Media is seeking a Development Manager who will internally lead all of Firelight’s fundraising activities. S/he will work closely with the President and program staff to develop proposals and budgets, with financial management staff to produce funder reports, and with communications staff to ensure representation of donor support in appropriate media. Thus, the Development Manager should be able to work with several teams and with different individuals simultaneously and communicate their needs to accomplish Development goals and plans. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Working well with outside fundraising consultants on a regular basis
- Developing a development strategy and implementing an annual fundraising plan
- Grant-writing, proposal packaging and submission
- Prospecting and staying abreast of new funding opportunities
- Cultivating corporate and individual donors
- Developing a plan for stewardship of existing donors and funders
- Reporting in a timely fashion to the President, Board of Directors, and funders, as required.
- A demonstrated track record of developing and implementing successful strategic fundraising plans for organizations with budgets of $1 million or more
- A thorough understanding of private foundations and changing dynamics in philanthropy; emerging opportunities in crowd funding; and knowledge of arts and cultural institutions, and non-profit networks
- Familiarity with corporate and individual donor strategies
- Exceptional communications, organizational skills, independent initiative, flexibility, and good humor to be part of a fast-paced and demanding but casual work environment
- Interest in the subject matter and ability to be facile in describing our programs to varied audiences
- Willingness to try new things and be innovative in their approach to fundraising
- Must be proficient in use of relevant software and internet fundraising resources.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email cover letter, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com . Please be sure to put “Development Manager” in the subject line.
Firelight Media is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.