Accion’s mission is to give people the financial tools they need to improve their lives. Over the last 60 years, Accion has proven time and time again that financial services can be made available; that individual lives and the prosperity of communities can be significantly enhanced; and that this can be done at scale and sustainably. Our work helps people, small businesses, and communities grow and thrive. We challenge and engage the industry, its leaders, and its regulators to achieve a financially inclusive world.
One way we do that is through our advisory support. Accion Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team partners with financial service providers around the globe to better meet the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. Leveraging innovations in technology and financial services, we provide strategic and operational support to our partners to help them remain the providers of choice in their dynamic markets. We focus on key areas that help maximize financial service providers’ impact. Our team delivers advisory support from planning and implementing, to reaching scale.
This new GLAS Resource Development position will play a critical fundraising and lead generating function for Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions activities. The Director will be an integral part of the GLAS team and will develop deep knowledge and understanding of all GLAS programs and activities. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of financial services and financial inclusion and excellent writing and communication skills. The Director will be able to adeptly draft concept notes and proposals and work in collaboration with the Resource Development team in generating funding opportunities, speaking with donors, and exploring new partnership opportunities.
The position will have a dual reporting structure – reporting to the GLAS Managing Director and to the Vice President of Resource Development. The Director will work closely with the GLAS Sales Management Office (SMO) as well as with the GLAS Regional Program Managers (RPMs), who serve as the frontline for business development in each of the three regions, and the GLAS Product Leads, who hold responsibility for developing and leading implementing of product strategy and business case. The Director will work both independently and collaboratively and will contribute to the overall growth of the GLAS fundraising targets to drive new partnerships and opportunities.
- Engage with GLAS MD, Resource Development VP, GLAS Global Biz Dev, GLAS SMO, Regional Program Managers and Product Leads to build GLAS revenue strategy
- Monitor progress towards GLAS fundraising and sales targets
- Collaborate with the Resource Development, Finance, and Legal departments, and other program staff to ensure coordination and to maximize opportunities and revenue across the organization
Prospecting and Networking
- Find, engage, and steward potential donors, new collaboration opportunities, and uncover new funding streams
- Conduct regional stakeholder mapping and segmenting for target donors and institutions
- Serve as the GLAS point person on key programmatic information and collaboration opportunities
- Lead early donor conversations and engagement with GLAS and Resource Development staff
- Map funding flows and donor trends to program activities and expertise
- Collaborating with RPMs, SMO, and Resource Development, contribute to proposal development and reporting process for donors, non-portfolio clients, and portfolio clients
- Facilitate meetings for GLAS management team with potential clients
- Examine potential merits and de-merits of new projects by speaking to stakeholders and contribute to 5-star reviews of prospective projects globally, to ensure consistency, make recommendations as needed
- Understand and advise on competitors’ product development and marketing strategies, as well as identify purchase patterns and emerging trends
- Provide Regional Program Managers and Product Leads with information on research trends, identifying, qualifying, and securing business development opportunities
- Produce high quality reporting and share impact and outcomes
- Deep knowledge of the international development sector, financial inclusion, and familiarity with fintech stakeholders and funders
- A minimum of 8-10 years of professional experience in grant writing, fundraising, managing partnerships and donor relationships, or similar work in financial inclusion or global development
- Exceptional written communication skills; able to quickly gather, synthesize and summarize information in a clear manner
- Leadership skills and a strong point of view with the ability to advise and influence others
- Superior quantitative skills; able to present data and research into ideas and recommendations
- Excellent organizational skills; able to handle and prioritize multiple workstreams with attention to detail and deliver under pressure
- Excellent collaborator with strong interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with staff across different departments and take direction and initiative across teams
- Demonstrated creativity and problem solving skills
- A can-do attitude
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, advanced degree preferred
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.