Details: Commensurate with experience
240 Fairmount Ave
New City Kids’ mission is “loving kids for change to create a community of academic, leadership, musical, and spiritual development.” The program has a two-tiered structure, each tier complimenting the other. First, New City Kids operate highly structured academic and performing arts focused after school centers for 220 at-risk children ages six to thirteen, five days a week. But what really makes the after school center unique is the second tier. Instead of staffing the program with paid adults or volunteers, 100+ high school students are employed. These 450-hour internships are designed to open teens’ eyes to their own amazing abilities and to awaken them to the joy of leadership, the goodness of earning money, the attainability of a college education and the transforming power of God’s love.
This is a chance to lead a local expression of one of the most dynamic, innovative, creative and effective youth programs in the country. The Executive Director (ED) will be responsible to oversee the Jersey City operations of New City Kids. New City Kids operates three sites in Jersey City, including the original larger site and two more recent satellite sites, each led by a Site Director who reports directly to the ED. The ED position is designed as a team leadership position. Instead of viewing the ED as the resident expert in all areas of nonprofit leadership the ED is a team leader who plays to his/her areas of strength but provides overall leadership to a team that provides strength in all areas. In addition to operational responsibilities, the ED also reports to the President and is part of a national leadership team that works on improving the brand, excellence, and effectiveness of New City Kids as a whole. The best part of this job–which is hard to capture in a written job description–is the amazing group of called, talented, diverse, passionate, creative, and hardworking people who have been accomplishing this mission for years.
• Nonprofit leadership ($1M per year) preferred; organizational leadership skills required.
• Fundraising experience preferred, including major donor development.
• Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred.
• Must enthusiastically affirm New City Kids statement of faith (http://newcitykids.org/statement-of-faith/)
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Own the vision of New City Kids and allow God to use you to bring transformation to children.
• Be a spiritual leader to your staff, modeling what it means to follow Christ on a mission.
• Lead city-wide team. Recruit, hire, care for, and develop leadership. Keep vision before all staff. • Guide programming for children. Ensure quality control, refine programs, and help craft national level program decisions and thinking.
• Hold key major donor relationships; work with Development Director and team to execute fundraising events; visit key supporting churches
• Represent New City Kids to the greater community through sound working relationships and arrangements with community organizations. Keep strong relationships with other sites.
• Engage local board to fundraise, network, and provide professional level volunteering opportunities; weigh in on overall policy and expansion proposals via national board liaisons.
• Work with local and national team to ensure that all applicable regulations and laws are met.
• Compensation: $70,000-$90,000 DOE
• Benefits: Health Insurance & Paid Vacation
• Hours: Full time (ten Sundays per year)
• Reports to: New City Kids President
Minimum Education Required