Details: Salary in the $65,000 – $72,000 range – dependent on experience and location.
1616 P Street NW
Food & Water Watch is a leading nonprofit running strategic campaigns to move America off fossil fuels, ensure safe drinking water for all, and challenge the corporate control of our food, water and democracy. We utilize online and field organizing to build the people power we need to win real victories – including banning fracking in NY and MD, stopping corporate trade deals like the TPP, and banning the toxin arsenic from being used in chicken production. We are outspoken progressives who don’t accept any corporate or government funding in order to retain independence from the very corporations we challenge every day.
The Creative Strategy and Engagement (CSE) Team uses innovative digital strategies in close coordination with on-the-ground organizing to educate and compel supporters to action, build a network of activists, pressure strategic campaign targets, fundraise, and build long term political power. In this role, you’ll work closely with our Online Organizing Director to manage our email program, including national online campaign strategy, new supporter conversion, inactive re-engagement, and some online fundraising. Our ideal candidate is a savvy digital strategist who is passionate about our issues and excited to manage a large email program and who can remain calm in a constantly shifting digital landscape.
The position is full time and reports to the Online Organizing Director. This position is preferred to be located in Washington, DC, but it’s possible for the position to be located in New Brunswick, NJ, Baltimore, Chicago, IL, Denver CO, or Oakland, CA
Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and people with disabilities to apply.
- Day to day management of the organization’s email program – coordinate the organizational editorial calendar, advise on campaign strategy for multiple national campaigns, and strategize cross-channel communications.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues.
- Quickly and concisely write and send advocacy and fundraising emails to respond to breaking news and campaign developments.
- Craft messaging and language that reinforces Food & Water Watch’s strategic approach and identity.
- Engage supporters and members around compelling narratives and unique opportunities to take action online and through our offline distributed organizing program.
- Track, analyze and report back on email metrics and supporter feedback.
- Oversee the health of our email list, including updating our welcome series, staying up to date on deliverability best practices, running re-engagement campaigns and crafting a goodbye series.
- Work with online organizing staff to identify and maximize opportunities to grow our list of online and offline supporters as well as grow our list of one time and monthly donors.
- Help facilitate a strategic testing program and reinforce data driven decision making.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least three years experience in online organizing and/or online fundraising is required. Direct experience managing an email program is strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of digital best practices for non-profit online marketing, email messaging, online advocacy, and online fundraising is critical.
- Proficiency with eCRM systems and strong understanding of metrics, analytics, reporting tools and A/B testing. High level of comfort with technology is a must. Experience with HTML, CSS, SQL is a strong plus. Direct experience with Marketing Cloud is a plus.
- Tech-savvy and eager to learn new tools/ run tests/ experiment.
- Passion and commitment for the issues Food & Water Watch is tackling every day is a must. Shares our progressive values and feels comfortable standing up to the establishment, including Democrats that compromise on our issues. Previous experience with water, food, or public interest issues is a plus, but not a must.
- Familiarity with grassroots organizing and advocacy techniques.
- Excellent campaign style writing, including the ability to quickly condense information and convey it clearly and concisely.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills. Ability to work well with a wide variety of people (both technical and non-technical staff) and to coordinate diverse tasks. Excellent relationship-management skills. We’re looking for someone able to lead and be part of a team.
- Excellent ability to manage many projects at once with clear attention to detail. Ability to plan ahead and shift plans to match a change in priorities is a must.
- Familiarity with retargeting.
- Can-do attitude with ability to track down and solve problems.
- Sense of humor appreciated.
- Long/irregular hours and travel possible.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- 100% employer-paid health care, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance.
- Three weeks paid vacation to start and three personal days.
- Food & Water Watch offices are closed for all federal holidays and an extra week at the end of December.
- Paid sick days.
- Paid family and medical leave.
- 403(b) retirement plan with annual employer contribution after the first year on staff.
- Professional development opportunities on an ongoing basis.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link:
Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and individuals with disabilities to apply.