Details: Commensurate with qualifications.
1055 Wilshire Blvd.
United Friends of the Children empowers current and former foster youth on their journey to self-sufficiency through service-enriched education and housing programs, advocacy, and consistent relationships with a community of people who care.
UFC has been an integral part of the Los Angeles foster care community since our founding by Nancy M. Daly in 1979. Our early advocacy efforts helped establish the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services and pass the Foster Care Independence Act. Innovations in direct services span from co-founding the first transitional housing program in the nation for former foster youth to the creation of an 11-year education support continuum that follows foster youth from the seventh grade through the completion of a bachelor’s degree.
By building relationships with youth over an extended period, UFC’s programs focus on commitment and consistency. The College Counselor carries a caseload of up to 27 former foster youth in grade 11 through college year 1. Utilizing a Tuesday to Saturday work schedule, the College Counselor builds meaningful relationships with his/her students and families in order to ensure they receive the best possible guidance and support in their journey to college.
From Tuesday-Friday the College Counselor will work from the downtown UFC office and will travel to various locations within a designated service area of Los Angeles County to provide onsite visits to foster youth. Saturdays, the College Counselor will work from workshop/event locations throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
Duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for providing year round academic planning to high school and college students in their homes or at school sites.
- Responsible for communicating regularly with students and their caregivers via phone, email or text regarding their progress towards their individualized goals and academic status.
- Regularly monitor students’ academic progress to ensure they successfully complete high school and are eligible for and accepted to and persisting at four-year colleges/universities.
- Refer students to community-based support services and academic enrichment opportunities as needed.
- Track and document all service efforts made on behalf of students in UFC’s database within a week of each effort’s occurrence.
- Continually expand and update professional and technical knowledge within the education, foster care, and case management fields.
Outreach and Resource Development
- Help create and implement innovative outreach strategies to ensure program growth.
- Cultivate relationships and serve as a liaison/advocate among middle and high school staff, ILP coordinators, social workers, foster parents, group homes workers, and community partners to increase awareness of the needs of foster youth to ensure the students’ success.
Program Implementation and Development
- Act as a lead facilitator and/or participant in the execution of student academic and personal development workshops.
- Assist with coordination of monthly events.
- Analyze caseload outcomes and trends and work with Education team to improve program model and service delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
General UFC Responsibilities
- Act as a role model within the organization to uphold and implement UFC’s organizational values.
- Embrace program evaluation that leads to excellence and impact.
- Build effective and empowering partnerships with the youth and community.
- Create a fun and exciting environment that inspires learning and innovation.
- Communicate openly, honestly and with humility across all groups.
- Work together as one organization.
- Minimum of a BA degree in a related field
- 3+ years of relevant experience, including 1 or more years of case management experience
- Demonstrated experience working with high school and/or college students
- Balances multiple competing priorities
- Establishes and cultivates respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
- Holds self accountable, sets high expectations for self and others, works both independently and collaboratively and relates tasks to organizational values
- Conveys thoughts and ideas clearly, listens well, communicates in a solution-orientated manner and incorporates others’ views into work
- Has a reliable personal automobile
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Master’s Degree in a related field
A comprehensive benefit package ($9,000 value) is offered and includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Life, ADD and Disability insurance
- 403b voluntary retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Mission-focused work
- Fun and inspiring work environment
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required