2000 East Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard
United Way for Greater Austin (UWATX)
Success By 6 Early Childhood AmeriCorps Member
AmeriCorps Service Member
Who we are:
As Austin’s philanthropic backbone, we lead the community to overcome barriers to economic opportunities. We unite individuals, nonprofits, businesses and government agencies with research-based work that ensures resources are invested, so that everyone has access to the promise of Austin.
Who we want:
The Success By 6 Early Childhood AmeriCorps member is an energetic, positive, and playful individual who is passionate about supporting disadvantaged young children so that they will have an equitable start in life. As a SB6 Early Childhood AmeriCorps member, you will serve 40 hours per week in a targeted early learning setting alongside professional early childhood teachers to create a positive and supportive learning environment for all children. You will support optimal children’s development through formal and informal lessons using materials and activities provided to you, and monitor progress so that individual learning objectives can be met. You will conduct formal and informal assessments with the children. As a member of classroom team, you will collaborate to meet individual children’s needs and ensure smooth functioning throughout the routines of the day. This is an 11 month commitment starting August 2018.
Who you are:
- Warm and energetic. You have a positive outlook on the world and enjoy interacting with young children and their caregivers in an active learning environment.
- Committed to Social Justice. You’re committed to closing the opportunity gap for disadvantaged young children through quality early childhood education.
- Reliable and dependable. You can be counted on to show up to all of your scheduled shifts and to carry out all of your duties in a quality-minded manner.
- A good role model for children. You treat people with courtesy, respect, and kindness. You manage frustrations and challenges with dignity. You model effective problem-solving and flexibility throughout each and every day.
- Interested in learning. You want to learn more about how children learn and develop, how to use early childhood curriculum tools effectively, how to manage children’s behaviors, and how to assess children’s growth. You ask for and receive feedback on your performance well, and use it to continuously improve and grow.
- An excellent communicator. You have an ability to listen actively and effectively communicate verbally and in writing to variety of audiences including children’s parents, co-workers, and children. You maintain high ethical standards for confidentiality and discretion with sensitive information.
- A team-player. You enjoy collaborating with other adults and will pitch in to help with tasks as needed to support children and their families.
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Experience with working with young children in formal or informal settings, such as babysitting or child care.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required
- An ability to commit to this role for 11 months.
- AmeriCorps classroom coaches are not UWATX employees but AmeriCorps members who work on UWATX-driven and –funded projects.
- Members receive a $12,630 yearly stipend.
- Service term is a total of 11 months. The term of service is August 12, 2018 - July 12, 2019.
- Education award of $5,775.00 awarded at successful completion of service.
- Free health insurance for members.
- Eligible for student loan deferment during time of service.
Notice: The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Management has the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
This position is located in Austin, Texas and reports directly to the Success By 6 Classroom Coach Manager.
Minimum Education Required