35 Haywood Street
To view the full listing, visit our website.
Since 1996, SouthWings has provided a network of volunteer pilots to advocate for the restoration and protection of the ecosystems and biodiversity of the Southeast through flight.
SouthWings operates throughout the 12 southeastern states and the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Its central offices are located in Asheville, NC, with satellite offices located in New Orleans, LA, and Annapolis, MD. The Appalachia to Atlantic (A2A) territory consists primarily of SouthWings’ original operational range. Extending from the Southern Appalachian Highlands and along the major river courses that link mountains to sea, this position requires extensive travel. Within this range exist many of SouthWings’ most-established partnerships, a vast spread of volunteer pilots, and some of our most committed and longstanding donors. Geographically and historically, the A2A region is the heart and core of SouthWings’ mission.
The A2A Program Manager will be based in SouthWings’ Asheville, NC office but will require significant travel (up to 35% of the time) throughout neighboring states.
The A2A Program Manager will have significant involvement in program design in the region based on organizational goals, and will coordinate the achievement of those goals, including the following:
- Growth of SouthWings’ leadership role in regional environmental campaigns;
- Maintain and grow its network of relationships and collaborative efforts; and
- Increase initiated flights within campaign themes.
- Support volunteer pilot recruitment and retention efforts to meet the growing demand for SouthWings flights.
- Assist in securing funding for SouthWings’ work in A2A region through grant-writing
- Support plans to identify and secure the necessary resources, financial and otherwise, to accomplish SouthWings’ organizational mission.
Communications and Community Relations
- In the A2A region: contribute to the development and implementation of marketing/PR plan including: media relations, constituent outreach, web strategies, aviation publication visibility, etc.; and
- Serve as a program spokesperson for the organization in the A2A region.
- Implement, coordinate, and monitor program work;
- Develop relationships and networks that support SouthWings’ proactive flight work;
- Travel to meetings, conferences, and strategic gatherings throughout the A2A region;
- Research environmental issues of concern in Southeast to identify ways in which SouthWings can support partner campaigns;
- Track and report partner successes enabled by SouthWings flights;
- Write grant applications and reports for A2A funders;
- Provide program recommendations and status reports to the Executive Director;
- Provide content for social media outreach and website, and;
- Provide support to pilot recruitment process.
- Minimum 2 years project management and/or outreach experience;
- Strong consensus-building skills;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working with diverse populations and multiple constituencies;
- Creative problem-solver, flexible and capable of adapting to changing priorities;
- Strategic thinker, capable of moving an organization to new levels;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently;
- Familiarity with new technological trends and applications; and
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred) or applicable work experience.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- A demonstrated commitment to organizational excellence;
- Experience working with volunteers;
- Sensitivity and passion for the environment; and
- An interest in aviation.
Health insurance and retirement benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume via email only to:
SouthWings Hiring Committee
Please, no phone calls.
SouthWings is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruiting from a broadly diverse pool of qualified candidates for the position.