District of Columbia
The National Young Farmers Coalition (NYFC) seeks a full-time Federal Policy Associate to grow our federal policy team and be an advocate for our policy work on behalf of young farmers and ranchers. The Federal Policy Associate will be based in Washington, DC and report to our Federal Policy Director.
NYFC represents, mobilizes, and engages young farmers to ensure their success. We envision a country where young people who are willing to work, get trained and take a little risk can support themselves and their families in farming. In order to achieve this vision, we are building a coalition of farmers, ranchers, and supportive consumers of all racial, ethnic, social, and economic backgrounds. NYFC strongly encourages women, LGBTQ individuals, military veterans, and people of color to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- Monitor, research, and analyze federal policy and legislation related to young farmers, and work with Federal Policy Director to advance NYFC’s policy platform and legislative priorities;
- Establish and maintain relationships with key Congressional offices, federal agencies, allied organizations, and private stakeholders to advance NYFC’s work;
- Draft and present materials for NYFC’s new and existing policy priorities for lawmakers, stakeholders, and the media, including fact sheets, one-pagers, bill summaries, testimony, and presentations;
- Work with NYFC’s grassroots and communications teams to help inform and mobilize NYFC’s network of young farmers;
- Support NYFC’s policy program by assisting in program strategy, grant reporting, and other tasks.
- At least two years of experience in public policy, including a working knowledge of the Congressional policy-making process, the farm bill, and/or USDA programs and administration
- Strongly identify with NYFC’s core mission, platform, and guiding principles
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and experience working with diverse communities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication
- Works well independently, with a team, and in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to think creatively about policy and program reforms that address structural barriers for young farmers and ranchers
The ideal candidate may also have:
- Experience working on a farm or ranch and/or be rooted in the agricultural community;
- Hold a relevant graduate degree in law, economics, or policy;
- Have specific experience in agriculture, food, immigration, or other relevant policy.
Hours and compensation:
- Full-time, $50-55k, commensurate with experience.
- NYFC offers a competitive benefits package, including health and dental insurance
Minimum Education Required