Details: Creative Art Works offers competitive pay for prep, curriculum development & out-of-class time duties and includes employment benefits such as portable insurance.
About Creative Art Works
Creative Art Works ("CAW") is a 32-year-old creative youth development nonprofit. We improve the lives of thousands of under-resourced youth, ages 4-24, each year through in-school and out-of-school-time classes, community art-making events, and our renowned public art youth employment program. Working in underserved neighborhoods of NYC, in public schools, community centers, juvenile detention centers, parks and libraries, CAW provides dynamic arts experiences for youth who otherwise lack access. Our programs build confidence, unlock a love of learning, and teach valuable technical, developmental, life and job skills, all while creating profound connections between our young constituents, their art, and their communities.
Creative Art Works seeks dynamic and experienced teaching artists for immediate opportunities as well as throughout the 2018-2019 academic year. Programs include painting and drawing, multimedia, sculpture, mixed media and cartooning for elementary, middle and high school students for in-school, after-school and Saturday programming, all with a focus on the art making process, social and emotional learning, and youth development. Unique offerings may include STEAM, English Language Arts, Dual Language, and certain other integrated or advocacy-based art education programs.
Successful candidates will demonstrate strong professional experience in their respective discipline, experience teaching children, teens and/or young adults; and will possess a passion for creative youth development. Teaching artists must have strong classroom management skills and be able to facilitate discussions for reflection. Experience working with at-risk youth and/or in underserved communities, in social or restorative justice and/or workforce development a plus.
· Commit to the duration of the program (semester or year-long residencies during the academic year, or project based-engagements).
· Collaborate with program and executive management staff to develop lesson planning and implement programs.
· Represent Creative Art Works in interactions with program partners and other stakeholders.
· Embrace the role of mentor and model respectful communication with other staff and students.
· Participate in professional development sessions.
· Deliver accurate and timely documentation, including registrations, attendance, evaluations and assessments, lesson plans, etc., as required.
· Commit to the artistic process as a vehicle for youth development.
· Prepare student artwork for exhibition/culminating event.
· BA/BFA in Arts, Education or a related field required. Master’s preferred.
· Minimum of three years experience teaching, in either school or community-based settings. NY teacher certification, especially art teacher, a plus.
· Familiarity with state/national/NYC learning standards in the arts
Creative Art Works offers competitive pay for prep, curriculum development and out-of-class time duties and includes employment benefits such as portable insurance. All offers are conditional pending background check, fingerprinting and references, satisfactory to CAW.
Please submit cover letter, résumé, portfolio and/or links, examples of student work and representative curriculum via e-mail to email@example.com with “[Your Name]: Teaching Artist” in the subject line.
Creative Art Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This organization does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Portable health benefits, 401(k), referral for teaching artists and teaching artist assistants CAW hires, structured reviews and Professional Development throughout the semester, website and social media recognition for professional achievements within the parameters of CAW’s social media and marketing plans.
Level of Language Proficiency
English mandatory, Spanish a plus.
Minimum Education Required