The Development Manager at Xavier Mission will be an integral player in a small but mighty team devoted to making life better for thousands of New Yorkers struggling to survive.
This is a new position at the organization, allowing for the Development Manager to be creative and put their own stamp on the job while working with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to develop and implement a more strategic, consistent fundraising approach at Xavier Mission. The Development Manager can expect support from an active, engaged Board of Directors with varied backgrounds and experience.
This role reports to the Executive Director, and will be responsible for managing and executing the organization’s fundraising efforts, grant development, annual appeals, reporting, campaigns, and donor relations.
- Manage an organized database of donor information
- Complete data and gift entry, update demographic information as needed, keep records of interactions with donors
- Track progress of fundraising campaigns and events and report on them to stakeholders
- Steward existing donors with personalized communications, gift acknowledgements, mailings, meetings, and events
- Identify and solicit prospective donors
- Strategize to convert organizational supporters into donors
- Work to diversify the network of support for Xavier Mission
- Utilize social media platforms for Xavier Mission for donor communications
- Write basic donor communications pieces (acknowledgements, requests, etc).
- Plan and execute the annual fundraising campaign
- Organize and plan other fundraising events
- Outreach to existing and potential donors around event sponsorship
- Assist Xavier Mission staff with other events as needed
- Research, identify, and contact potential grantors
- Prepare grant packages
- Track and prepare grant reports and ensure timely submission
- Maintain and update grant documents and funding calendars
- Follow Development Plan and provide updates on strategic goals
- Provide input on future plans and help craft goals
- Keep a calendar of fundraising activities throughout the year
Work collaboratively with the members of the Associate Board and the Board of Directors
- Provide informative monthly development updates to the Board at meetings
- Assist with updating the communications calendar for Xavier Mission
- Work with outside contractors on larger communications projects and campaigns
- Network on behalf of Xavier Mission within the community
- Perform any related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field and/or relevant work experience
- Relevant work experience with a similar non-profit strongly preferred
- Passion and interest in Xavier Mission’s mission and values
- Creative problem-solver willing and able to adapt to changing needs
- Confident and outgoing personality comfortable interacting with all types of people
- Ability to engage effectively and work collaboratively with various stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Initiative and good judgment in prioritizing tasks
- Tact, diplomacy, and a sense of humor
- Calm under pressure
- Hard-working and self-motivated
- Knowledge of and comfort using email and Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with email marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp, Constant Contact) and experience with CRM (e.g. Salesforce, Zendesk) databases preferred
- English fluency required; proficiency in Spanish a plus
Essential Physical Demands:
The person in this position:
- Frequently remains in a stationary position.
- Occasionally moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, other offices, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer.
- Occasionally carries boxes and containers full of documents, printed promotional materials, or promotional products relevant to the position.
- Occasionally travels around New York City to attend meetings, conferences, and other organizational events.
- Frequently communicates with staff, donors, volunteers, and clients and must be able to exchange accurate information in these interactions with clarity.
- The Development Manager can work partially remotely, but must spend some time physically in the office to gain knowledge of programs and organization - applicants must be local and able to travel to the physical location