Position Title: Development and Communications Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, 25-30 hours per week
Date: February 16, 2021
Position Summary: The Development and Communications Manager will lead fundraising, communications, and advocacy efforts. This position will develop content plans, produce content, plan and execute fundraising events and campaigns, maintain donor management, and oversee the Social Media Coordinator to develop original content, engagement, and relationship-building with the community.
- Cultivate existing relationships with individual and in-kind donors.
- Work closely with ED and staff to identify and cultivate major donors, corporate sponsors, event sponsors, private donors, in-kind donors.
- Write monthly donor update letters.
- Identify ways to show appreciation to sustaining / large gift donors and build on those relationships.
- Assist Executive Director with donor database and tracking all donations and donor communications in Network for Good.
Marketing / Communications
- Work with the Executive Director, staff, Board, related consultants, (e.g., graphic designers, photographers, videographers) and partner organizations etc. to develop key messaging and branding, including elevating the community voice and increasing awareness of BreastfeedLA’s programs.
- Craft BreastfeedLA’s narrative outputs, including organization official statements, weekly e-newsletter and e-blast, social media copy & content with Social Media Coordinator.
- Work with staff to identify compelling stories and positive data/outcomes/reports from within the BreastfeedLA community; cultivate those relationships; record & collect stories, translate them into content; create a Story Bank/Archive.
- Provide event-related marketing efforts including email marketing, social media campaigns, newsletters, press releases, etc.
- Work with ED and Social Media Coordinator to ensure that BreastfeedLA’s visual brand and voice is consistent across social media platforms.
- Oversee Social Media Coordinator in production of creative and engaging content in line with strategy.
- Review updates and remove duplicates from Resource Directory, work with web developers for any changes to directory or website that cannot be done internally.
- Add new resources to the website under all resources pages including COVID, Family, and Professional Resources, etc. Create new pages as requested by Program Managers.
- Redesign web pages as needed. Make current pages easier to navigate with new formatting, and more engaging with media and current images. Create new pages as requested by the Executive Director. Update pages as requested by program staff.
- Write statement pieces as required on sensitive topics and issues using an inclusive lens.
- Create appeals based on the calendar and as identified by the Executive Director, noting events such as Black History Month, Mother’s Day, Juneteenth, Father’s Day, World Breastfeeding Week, Black Breastfeeding Week, Giving Tuesday, End of Year, and more.
- Prepare statement for World Breastfeeding Month. Include the specific recognized breastfeeding weeks occurring throughout the month. Submit to the LA County Board of Supervisors, complete scrolls request, and prepare press releases and announcements as needed.
Public Policy Planning and Development
- Implement BreastfeedLA’s public policy agenda, develop strategies and negotiate solutions for policy issues that are important to the health and well-being of birthing and lactating families.
- Research, monitor, analyze and respond to federal, state and local issues that affect lactating families in Los Angeles County.
- Organize and engage community stakeholders, and policy makers in public policy efforts on issues.
- Create and manage systems to track information about key issues and policymakers.
- Build and maintain relationships with members, partner organizations, coalitions, foundations and associations throughout the state to advance policy goals.
- Build and maintain relationships with elected officials, their representatives and staff, as well as Governor’s Office and state agency staff.
- Respond to requests for information from members, community stakeholders, policymakers, and media.
Public Policy Education & Communications
- Manage and produce web content, electronic policy updates, legislative action alerts, letters of support and position statements for members and other key stakeholders.
- Educate legislators and other policymakers regarding the scope and importance of breastfeeding and policy issues affecting lactating families.
- Organize and lead advocacy committee calls.
- Update Advocacy Toolkit and plan biannual conferences on lactation advocacy and special events such as advocacy days.
- Respond to community complaints regarding lactation rights violations.
- Oversee volunteer advocacy chair and advocacy committee.
- Participate in committees of the California Work and Family Coalition and serve on their steering committee.
- Collaborate with California Work and Family Coalition and California Breastfeeding Coalition, and USBC on projects such as advocacy days, AAIMM outreach, and other activities regarding lactation and paid family leave.
- Support and coordinate with other programs of BreastfeedLA, including participation in other key events.
- As a member of the BreastfeedLA staff team, work on special projects throughout the year.
- Attend appropriate seminars and webinars to increase your knowledge and engagement skills.
- Represent the organization at events, which may include some travel throughout California.
- Participate in the grant writing process as needed.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the role successfully.
- Excellent written, verbal, and communication skills.
- Is a creative storyteller, writer, advocate, who is passionate about health equity in LA County and knows how to connect with people and inspire them to action!
- 3 or more years experience in fundraising, marketing, communications, events preferably in a non-profit setting.
- 2 or more years of experience in social media content creation, engagement, and community management (personal social media experience is acceptable) (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube).
- Experience planning and executing fundraising events from start to finish required.
- Considerable attention to detail.
- Very strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills are essential.
- Experience with Eventbrite, Network for Good, Constant Contact and Wordpress strongly preferred.
- Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills required.
- Have a home office/desk area and mobile phone. Printer and computer preferred.
- Ability to travel within Los Angeles County as needed, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- In-depth knowledge of the maternal child health or breastfeeding sector.
- Proven planning and analytical skills to evaluate complex situations and recommend next steps/solutions.
- Commitment to our mission and belief in the value of breast/chestfeeding as drivers of social justice and change.
- Respect for historically excluded and marginalized communities and a commitment to racial and social justice.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and priorities effectively and professionally.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
This job description is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of the responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the position of Development and Communications Manager.
What's in it for you?
BreastfeedLA is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
At BreastfeedLA, you’ll enjoy an excellent compensation and benefits package, including professional development, health insurance (30 hours+), and generous vacation and sick time. We strive to provide a flexible environment for working parents.
Flexible. This position may work in our Inglewood office or work from home or another location near Los Angeles. This position will remain remote during COVID-19 per county safety protocols. Occasional travel to Los Angeles, as well as elsewhere in California, required in a post COVID-19 atmosphere. Upon resuming in-person gatherings, this position will require someone being on-site for all fundraising events.
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $25-$34 per hour depending on experience
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. (It is preferred that attachments are labeled YourName_CoverLetter or YourName_Resume.)
For more information about BreastfeedLA, visit www.breastfeedla.org.