Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
TRADING PURPOSE: To make as much money as possible to overcome poverty and suffering.
KEY ASPECTS OF THE ROLE:
Open for business since 1948, Oxfam shops are at the heart of the charity and their community, raising vital funds and increasing public awareness of what we do. They are always guided by our values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness. Shop teams, led by shop managers, are at the heart of our shops, and 22,000 volunteers donate their diverse skills to make as much money as possible from thousands of donations we receive every day.
The role of the Area Manager is wide-ranging and demanding, and requires considerable travel as well as time planning and workload organisation to ensure shop teams are supported appropriately. Area Managers are able to influence the development of the Trading strategy by maximising the value of the gifts of time (volunteering), product (donors) and money (customers). They put the shops at the centre of their tasks and enable shop teams to make the best local decisions to develop the business. Area Managers use their commercial awareness and strong drive to achieve results to maximise income, and are accountable to deliver towards targets. Outstanding people managers with a high level of self-awareness, they are confident performance managers and can resolve conflicts. They are able to spot and develop talent and provide inspirational leadership to support a wide variety of people. Area Managers are required to plan financially and have responsibility, with support, for their own professional development. A high degree of numeracy and business experience, with excellent communication skills, is necessary to operate effectively in an empowered culture. This is a stimulating and rewarding role which requires strength and resilience. Open to change, business focussed and creative, they always look for ways to attract new supporters every day.
- Recruit and retain the best shop managers.
- Be accountable for the completion of the full induction programme for all new starters as well as the monitoring of progress and their confirmation in post. Ensure that training continues to be delivered for the area by working with support functions.
- Have regular one to one meetings with staff, and ensure progress on objectives and shop plan actions is monitored. Manage performance reviews within the agreed timeframes. Give direction and focus through follow-up notes from meetings and action plans where necessary.
- Motivate, inspire and empower the shop manager team to achieve the best results..
- Give effective shop communications with shop managers and volunteer teams to drive change, including regularly attending shop meetings.
- Be visible and approachable in shops across the area by building relationships with the shops’ volunteer teams.
- Support staff in their personal development and play a key role in the realisation of it. Have the ability to coach staff members.
- Ensure that shops’ health and safety standards are adequately monitored and maintained.
- Be able to flex management style according to staff preference and requirements and deliver inspirational leadership. Recognise and celebrate shop teams’ achievements.
- Be capable of, and experienced in, conflict management and resolution, including the handling of all complaints according to Oxfam’s policies.
- Agree and monitor staff’s annual leave and absence in line with Oxfam’s policies..
- Aim to have Oxfam’s volunteer model, diversity policy and effective use of skills evidenced within all stores in the area.
- Ensure that shop managers recruit effectively for their teams and communicate with their teams regularly.
- Adhere to and enforce Oxfam’s safeguarding policies including the Child Protection Policy.
Operations and Financial Management
- Develop an appropriate area sales and profit (NSC) budget and plan in cooperation with shop managers, the operations manager and the national steer and be accountable for the achievement of it.
- Analyse and help maximise the return on retail space.
- Ensure that shop’s business plans are created, actioned and monitored and delivered.
- Create, understand and interpret financial reports.
- Seek to maximise the opening hours of shops within the area.
- Ensure that all shops are engaged in stock sourcing and maximising donations from their community.
- Manage shop teams to maximise income on Gift Aid on donated products.
- Be accountable for managing the area’s property portfolio in collaboration with the property team. Manage and monitor the area’s payroll budget and plan and recruit accordingly.
- Be aware of external retail influences and trends, and be prepared to adapt plans and actions accordingly.
- Foster a creative and entrepreneurial shop environment where shop teams seek to maximise income in new and innovative ways, both within the shop and through a variety of channels, such as ecommerce and community events.
- Monitor the financial progress of shops and ensure that financial documents, monitoring documents and banking is completed by shop teams and invoices/ expenses processes by you within the agreed timeframe.
- Support the shop teams to promote seasonal/topical promotions as well as ensure all national promotions are endorsed by shops.
- Be accountable for monitoring and organising any stock transfers within the area. If applicable, be responsible for the line management and performance management of any drivers or sub-contractors employed by or working for Oxfam.
Area/ Shop Management
- Plan and conduct meaningful and regular shop visits and ensure that any outstanding issues are followed up.
- Develop a strong team spirit within the area which enables shop managers to call upon their peer network.
- Establish and monitor shop retail standards in collaboration with shop teams (such as pricing and culling rates), including effective and efficient back room systems.
- Hold shop managers accountable following of relevant procedures for new products.
- Be creative and effective in planning new initiatives to drive the business forward.
- Ensure that shops provide a great customer and donor experience, which enables Oxfam to attract new supporters every day.
- Hold shops accountable for following all till and financial procedures within agreed timeframes, including any issues identified during shop audits. Monitor and be alert to potential fraud.
- Work with the property team and support the shop manager to ensure our shops are in good condition, maximise their potential and are fit for purpose. Monitor the level of housekeeping within stores.
- Ensure that recycling and waste procedures are kept in line with Health and Safety regulations and government and Oxfam guidelines.
Key Skills and Competence
- Exceptional leadership qualities and experience of managing a large and diverse team. Experience of managing others remotely or multi-site management is desirable. (E)
- Evidence of strong drive to achieve results through others (E)
- Ability to build, retain and develop an area team.(E)
- Strong commercial awareness and judgement (E)
- Experience of successful performance management and conflict management (E)
- Ability to motivate self and others.(E)
- Ability to manage time and organise own workload under conflicting priorities.(E)
- Highly organised, with the ability to adapt quickly to change. (E)
- Ability to demonstrate resilience to the everyday pressures that come with the role.(E)
- Ability to work in co-operation with support teams at peer level.(E)
- Excellent communication skills in a variety of media and audiences.(E)
- Ability to find practical solutions to complex problems.(D)
- A full, clean driving licence (D or E depending on the area)
- Strong IT, literacy and numeracy skills. (E)
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 21 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.