GrowNYC seeks a Procurement Manager for Greenmarket Co. is a Bronx-based hub for source-verified, high-quality, fair-priced local foods to meet the city’s burgeoning demand for local food in wholesale volumes. Greenmarket Co. is a local food distribution service with a two-pronged mission: to create a profitable wholesale marketplace for regional farm and food businesses, and to create transparent, efficient supply chains that increase all New Yorkers’ access to high-quality, locally produced food.
Reporting to the Director of Wholesale and Distribution, the Procurement Manager orchestrates all purchases of fruit, vegetables, mushrooms, eggs, beans, grains, maple syrup, bread, and honey for New York City’s only regional food hub, Greenmarket Co. In this role, the Procurement Manager works with local and sustainable producers to source high quality food for institutions, restaurants, retailers, Greenmarket Co.’s in-house food access programs, and more. The Procurement Manager’s responsibilities include:
Day to Day (60% of Time)
· Curate three product lists per week working closely with vendors to determine availability, fair pricing, and delivery logistics
· Arrange freight logistics with vendors and third-party freight providers for product deliveries
· Collate customer orders and create purchase orders for vendors
· Use hybrid just-in-time and inventory system to stock appropriate volumes of food for distribution
· Collaborate with operations and sales teams to maintain accurate inventory tracking system
· Work with receiver and other operations staff to assure high quality standards of product
· Track received purchase orders and process farmer invoices based off of received product
· Communicate delivery issues, product quality issues, etc with vendors in a timely manner
· Work with sales and programming staff to determine customer trends and source product based off of that research
· Keep sales and programming staff up-to-date on upcoming offerings and changes in availability
· Respond to inquiries and emails from producers and customers
Strategy & Planning (40% of Time)
· Expand range of product offerings based on market research conducted in conjunction with sales staff
· Broaden network of producers to bring in new products and higher quality items or to diversify farm sources
· Conduct 15-20 farm visits annually to maintain current relationships and forge new ones
- Analyze procurement and sales data to project seasonal trends and predict customer needs
- Work closely with Greenmarket Regional Grains staff to determine specialty grains usage and create procurement plan based on their needs
- Use key performance indicators (KPIs) to track progress in meeting business strategy goals
· Two years experience with warehouse operations and/or fresh produce a must;
· Awareness of produce quality and food safety standards at a wholesale level;
· Stellar communication and ability to work as part of a team;
· Ability to work independently and prioritize duties during times of competing agendas
· Attention to detail
· Strong desire to work hard toward a true, positive impact for local farmers, wholesale food buyers, and end-consumers;
· Ability to work some flexible hours including very early mornings, evenings and weekends;
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience: 48,000 to $52,000 per year. This position is full-time with a generous benefits package including medical and dental insurance and paid time off.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume and three references to Chelsea Whittaker, firstname.lastname@example.org, by close of business on April 18, 2018. Combine all submissions into one PDF and write “Procurement Manager” in the subject line.
GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Education Required