1415 Fairmount Avenue
Employment Specialist: Are you charismatic and enjoy winning people over? Or do you have a proven track record in sales or marketing? Project HOME is searching for a social justice worker to help people who have experienced homelessness find jobs and careers in the private sector.
Leveraging their own work experience, the Employment Specialist identifies/creates job opportunities to match qualified participants with jobs. They cultivate and maintain relationships with employers and provide on-going retention services to both the employer and the participant.
This position reports to the Director. We are looking for a dynamic and hardworking individual who enjoys sales/marketing, and understands the ways poverty, racism and systems of oppression may affect an individual’s opportunities for education and employment. The Employment Specialist is critical Project HOME’s mission to end and prevent homelessness.
The Specialist has two overarching responsibilities: 1) To establish new and maintain existing employer relationships to secure competitive employment opportunities, and 2) To effectively match Project HOME participants with employment.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits including medical and dental
- Builds trust with participants and develops an understanding of each individual’s career interests, level of education achieved, employment history, skills, hobbies, and historical challenges including histories of incarceration, substance use or mental health issues
- Develops jobs:
- Develops specific job opportunities that are a match for an individual’s skills and interests.
- Develops internships
- and other career and skill building opportunities, and advocates on behalf of
- Maintains relationships with existing employers and establishes relationships with new employers. Schedules daily prospecting/cold calls and face-to-face meetings with employers.
- Conducts reviews of existing PH accounts on a regular basis to evaluate employer demand and usage of PH services and determines how best to improve and/or leverage relationship to meet placement objectives Strong administrative, managerial and leadership skills;
- Supports participants to secure and retain jobs
- Assists job seekers
- with: resume writing, interviewing skills, job searches, job coaching,
- applicant presentation (interview attire, phone and email etiquette) and job
- retention practices
- Maintains contact
- with employers and clients following placement to ensure job stability, verify
- job placement and retention, and gather feedback from employers and clients
- Identifies and develops post-employment supports that meet both the employers’ and participants’ needs.
- Achieves weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual placement goals as prescribed and in accordance with PH contractual obligations.
- Documents, consistently and accurately, in real time, all participant and employer contact, activities and outcomes into PH computerized case management system (ETO).
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
- Job-Specific Competency Statements
- Sales Ability – Ability to effectively network with others and influence them to change position, addressing stereotypes and misconceptions people who have experienced homelessness or may be at risk of homelessness.
- Analytical Thinking – Ability to anticipate problems and develop contingency plans to deal with them as well as evaluate and implement alternative courses of action.
- Resourcefulness and Persistence – Ability to continue a course of action and achieve goals in the face of adversity.
- Energetic – Ability to bring and sustain considerable stamina and vigor to all aspects of the work.
- SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Baseline Skills: Natural born salesperson. Must be computer literate. Must be able to prioritize and organize information and tasks, to work independently
- Skills to be learned on the Job: 1) Job matching; 2) individualized Placement and Support model, an evidence-based placement and retention for people who have had mental health or substance abuse histories
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience.
- Experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in an inside or outside sales function, including account management experience or job placement/staffing experience. Strong verbal and written communication skills prospecting, building a pipeline, moving opportunities through the sales cycle and proposing, presenting and discussing a product with decision-makers. Successful track record of achieving and exceeding sales/prospecting quotas on a regular basis. Proven ability to effectively manage client relationships. Ability to report to management clearly and in a timely manner on sales activities.
Minimum Education Required