11152 Falls Road
About Bridges Baltimore
Bridges Baltimore is dedicated to ensuring the long-term success of motivated elementary school aged youth from under-resourced communities in Baltimore City. It does this through an innovative 13+ year long program that supports students from elementary school through college and into their careers. Program efforts help students/families (a) find success / navigate obstacles in school, (b) become well-rounded people, and (c) prepare for college and career opportunities.
The Program currently provides year-round support and programs to 260 Baltimore City youth ages 9-22 via its sites at St. Paul’s School (est. 1993) and at Gilman School (est. 2014). Over the last three years, Bridges participants have a 100% high school graduation rate and 80%+ college matriculation rate. We are working hard to formalize post-high school programs - ensuring that students complete their degrees and find right-fit careers.
Baltimore is loaded with wonderful young people who would thrive with the support Bridges provides and we are committed to continued expansion throughout the City. Join a team that is dedicated to making this happen. To learn more about Bridges, visit this piece from ‘This Week’ with George Stephanopoulos: http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/building-bridges-baltimore-31106531
As Bridges continues to grow, we seek a highly motivated and entrepreneurial recent college graduate / young professional to join our small, hard-working, and innovative team. Reporting to the High School Program Director, the High School Public Service Fellow (PSF) will spend 1 to 2 years leading and developing programs that help change the lives of the motivated young people we serve. The High School PSF will be responsible for:
Academic school year support
· Providing and fostering one-on-one support for Bridges high school students
· Developing and leading weekend programs for ninth through twelfth grade students
· Serving as an academic resource for struggling and curious students
· Helping to manage tutoring partnerships through the academic school year
· Evaluating and working with students and job partners in the Bridges Summer Jobs Program
· Leading and developing Monday enrichment workshops
· Providing one-on-one professional development to students
· Serving as a part of our Communications team to help market our work via Facebook, newsletters, and other media sources
· Assisting in large scale organizational events such as our annual Kickball Classic fundraiser.
Why Become a PSF?
Working as a PSF can help to jump-start a career in human services. It can also clarify career aspirations in education, counseling, public policy, and non-profit management. It’s a great way to serve others and an opportunity to develop leadership skills that will help in any career path.
The PSF role is a rewarding one, but is also quite demanding. It requires a person who thrives in a fast-paced working environment, is optimistic, likes to learn, and seeks excellence in all responsibilities. Additionally, the PSF will be expected to operate with great sense of agency, entrepreneurialism, and urgency. Ideal candidates will meet the following criteria:
· Under-graduate degree with a proven record of academic success
Volunteer / work / leadership experience
· Experience working with urban youth between the ages of 13 and 19
· Success in at least one post-high school leadership role
· We will look favorably upon prior volunteer experience at Bridges
Willingness and Ability To
· Build strong & trusting relationships with students, parents, volunteers, staff, and partners
· Help us improve the organization and our programs
· Show and take initiative in regard to problem solving
· Grow from failure and take risks
· Maintain confidentiality
· Support other projects and assignments that are in the best interest of the organization
· Use existing workplace technology (Excel, Outlook, Word, Dropbox) and adapt as needed
· Drive a 14-passenger van (We will train you!)
· Speak publicly
Length of Commitment
· The Public Service Fellow’s first year commitment is June 2018– August 2019.
· Bridges will look favorably upon applicants with an interest in a 2-year commitment.
Compensation and Benefits
· Salary & benefits are competitive for this full-time position
To Learn More about Bridges
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical demands while performing this job include:
· Hearing: Adequate to perform job duties in person and over the telephone.
· Speaking: Must be able to communicate clearly in person and over the telephone.
· Vision: Visual acuity adequate to perform job duties
Requires bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
· Please send a resume with a brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3/25/18.
· Please name files in the format: “Last Name, First Name - r” for resumes & “Last Name, First Name - cl” for cover letters.
· Candidates will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.