2215 Constitution Avenue NW
The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, established in 1995, has certified over 600,000 pharmacy technicians through its certification and recertification programs, preparing technicians to support pharmacists in advancing patient care and safety. PTCB launched a new specialty certification in 2018 and is poised for continuous growth with additional certifications planned for the future.
Under new leadership, PTCB is evaluating its IT infrastructure with the goal of ensuring leading edge systems and processes are in place to leverage the latest technologies. The IT Director will play an important role in charting the path to implement new IT solutions, optimizing operations and supporting PTCB’s continued growth. This role promises to be both challenging and rewarding for the right individual.
Ensure Information Technology (IT) solutions are implemented on-time and on-budget within all levels of the organization. Plan, develop, maintain, support, and optimize all information systems and communication links including a strong online infrastructure and presence. Identify scalable IT solutions necessary to execute the organization’s strategic plan and develop appropriate short/long term recommendations for the Senior Director, Certification Operations and other senior staff. Manage vendors and IT staff, day-to-day technical operations, and support for external users such as the customer service call center. Provide network support, administration and strategy for 30 users, including several working remotely from other states.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Program Management of Enterprise Applications (50%)Plan, develop and update custom and OTS applications to improve daily workflow for all employees
- Manage development and maintenance of fully customized certification customer management system (CCMS) including the production of detailed timelines for each application release. Implement effective project control by monitoring the progress of the software release and reporting the status.
- Maintain PTCB website using best practices that optimize the infrastructure, applications development and functionality while ensuring a strong web presence.
- Plan, develop and implement new products and services
- Supervise IT staff and vendors
- Manage the formulation of organizational IT strategy and long-term IT planning
- Manage prioritization and on-time delivery of IT tasks consistent with attainment of organizational and departmental goals
- Manage the planning, implementation and maintenance of applications including development methods and standards
- Maintain current knowledge of IT best practices, networking standards, operating systems and software design opportunities to support business operations.
- Infrastructure (25%)Manage technical support functions such as database, security, quality and standards including the creation and maintenance of documentation. Maintain physical inventory of all computer equipment and software licenses to ensure an accurate audit
- Implement a technical architecture that includes disaster recovery hardware and software. Document and test recovery procedures annually. Architecture must support a mix of desktops, laptops, and varied operating systems
- Manage changes to live systems and applications to ensure their continued availability and effectiveness
- Recommend upgrades, patches, new applications and equipment that support continuous improvement of internal and customer facing systems
- Implement the systems and processes necessary to support a mobile staff
Administrative Management and Customer Service (25%)
- Manages, coaches and develops direct reports to meet performance objectives and support accomplishment of PTCB strategic plan.
- Oversees hiring of qualified staff and manages any performance issues timely to ensure a high-functioning team.
- Prepares and monitors IT department budget in collaboration with Senior Director, Certification Operations.
- Ensure Tier I technical support and guidance is provided to all users including phone calls and e-mail requests; identify, research, and resolve technical problems
- Perform liaison duties between users, operations, and programming personnel in the areas of systems design, modifications and troubleshooting
- Ensure processes are in place for documentation, tracking and monitoring problems to ensure timely resolution
- Ensure staff are trained regarding accessing network resources, enterprise applications and other supported software
To perform the job successfully, an individual should also demonstrate the following competencies.
<blockquote>Managing People – Provides direction and gains compliance. Includes subordinates in planning. Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities. Makes himself/herself available to subordinates. Provides regular performance feedback. Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth.</blockquote><blockquote>
</blockquote><blockquote>Planning & Organization – Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources. Integrates changes smoothly. Sets goals and objectives. Works in an organized manner.</blockquote><blockquote>
</blockquote><blockquote>Communications – Exhibits good listening and comprehension. Expresses ideas and thoughts clearly in both oral and written form. Keeps others well-informed. Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.</blockquote><blockquote>
</blockquote><blockquote>Customer Service – Displays courtesy and sensitivity. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Meets commitments. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.</blockquote><blockquote>
</blockquote><blockquote>Problem Solving – Develops alternative solutions. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Identifies problems in a timely manner. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.</blockquote><blockquote>
</blockquote><blockquote>Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interests.</blockquote>
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 4 years cross-functional IT experience including business systems analysis, software development and implementation, desktop support, infrastructure and security
- Minimum 6 years project management experience with the ability to organize, plan, envision and execute
- Demonstrated skill in strategic thinking, resource management, complex problem solving, and project management competency
- Experience in strategic use of technology in managing and growing a business
- Supervisory and vendor management experience
Read, analyze and interpret complex documents. Respond effectively to sensitive inquiries. Make persuasive presentations on complex topics to management.
Add and subtract two digit numbers and multiply/divide with 10's and 100's. Perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Other Qualifications & Skills
- RequiredAbility to explain rationale from both a business and technical perspective and drive objectives through to completion
- Ability to deconstruct technical or process issues as a manager to determine root cause
- Ability to recommend solutions which maximize value and minimize cost
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including technical writing
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills; demonstrated track record in new concept development
- Ability to establish priorities and handle multiple work tasks effectively
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Ability to link IT processes and systems to changing business processes
- PreferredWorking knowledge of leading edge information security processes and products with the ability to analyze organizational security needs and develop and implement solutions.
- Ability to deconstruct process challenges and quickly recommend and implement solutions
- Knowledge of the roles and functions of certification systems and procedures
- Team player-flexible, outgoing, positive attitude, collegial, and enthusiastic
Minimum Education Required