Details: Commensurate with experience
Reports to: Director of Communications
Objective: The Media Relations Manager plays an integral role in advancing GLSEN’s mission and strategic plan by leveraging traditional media to ensure and increase public understanding of GLSEN as the national leader working to create safe and inclusive K-12 schools. The ideal candidate will have experience securing media placements on both national and state levels, as well as a successful track record building relationships with targeted media, such as education and LGBTQ press. The Media Relations Manager also oversees GLSEN’s messaging platform, ensuring consistent and compelling messaging that works to strengthen the case for creating a world where young people learn to value and respect all people, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender expression.
A) Enhance GLSEN’s capacity to communicate effectively with media
- Serve as the organization’s primary point of contact for journalists and manage interview scheduling and prep
- Develop and adhere to protocols for media outreach, intake and response.
- Identify and prepare appropriate spokespersons for interviews through donor databases and media story banks.
- Build upon and enhance existing relationships with reporters/editors/producers, and identify and implement outreach strategies at target outlets.
- Manage GLSEN’s press databases, ensuring lists include viable contacts for all identified target media.
- Provide media training and preparation for relevant senior staff, Chapter leaders, student spokespeople and others as needed.
- Develop a Media Center on glsen.org with releases, important messaging, and media contact protocols.
- Track and compile media coverage of GLSEN and prepare timely program reports.
B) Lead efforts to procure ample and accurate coverage of GLSEN, organizational initiatives, and the needs and benefits of LGBTQ-inclusive schools
- Assist in developing, along with the Communications Director and team, proactive public relations campaigns aimed at increasing coverage of GLSEN initiatives or issues in target media.
- Editing and proofreading of various GLSEN Communications
- Prepare press releases and media advisories as warranted and assigned.
- Draft, pitch and place Letters To Editors (LTEs) and opinion editorials as assigned.
- Play leading role in pitching and placing stories in order to ensure ample and accurate coverage of GLSEN initiatives or issues in target media.
- Identify and secure media opportunities around GLSEN representative’s local community appearances.
- Develop and execute strategies to enhance chapter and local participation in national media initiatives.
- Manage GLSEN Respect Awards gala red carpets, which have become go-to events for celebrities and media in LA and NY and routinely generate significant coverage from national media.
- Provide strategic communications advice to Communications Director and other Senior Staff.
- Assist in developing messaging and talking points for the organization, GLSEN campaigns, and specific media opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- 5-7 Years Media Relations and/or related experience
- BA/BS in related field or related experience
- Strong knowledge of communications campaigns and proven effective public relations strategies
- Strong writing and editing skills required
- Track record of placing spokespeople in national media
- Demonstrated success in placing stories
- Strong verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of Public Relations software
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask and support multiple departments
- Familiarity with, and a passion for, LGBTQ issues in K-12 education
- Preference for experience in LGBTQ and mainstream media. Experience with education and political media a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This position will be located in GLSEN’s New York City headquarters. To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest at: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBT people to apply.