Details: FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Context: The mission of the Reinvent Stockton Foundation is to intentionally invest in and rigorously evaluate collective impact strategies and other force multipliers that will improve quality of life for Stockton residents. Our flagship initiative is the Stockton Scholars, a place-based college scholarship that seeks to triple the number of Stockton students who both attend and complete higher education in ten years. With an initial private donation of $20 million, Stockton Scholars will provide $1,000 a year to students who will be attending 4-year universities and $500 a year to students attending 2-year colleges or trade schools. This scholarship will be open to students from the Stockton Unified School District beginning Fall 2019, and is linked with other programming open to all students city-wide starting in Spring 2019.
To learn more about the Stockton Scholars, please visit our website at www.stocktonscholars.org
Position Description: The Reinvent Stockton Foundation is searching for a highly skilled and highly motivated individual to serve as the Student Outreach Officer for the Stockton Scholars. The ideal candidate is passionate about the mission of the Stockton Scholars and committed to providing equitable access to higher education. The Student Outreach Officer will lead and implement programs such as high school student outreach with all eligible campuses, build Stockton Scholars visibility at community events, and public relations. This leader will help build new partnerships, and strengthen existing partnerships through active communications including, but not limited to social media, annual reports, and other public correspondence.
Work will be performed at various school sites within the City of Stockton and our office in South Stockton. Reliable transportation is required. Occasional evening or weekend events are required. The Student Outreach Officer will report to Lange Luntao, the Executive Officer, and belong to a nimble, collaborative, and growing Stockton Scholars team.
This position is one of two openings being filled in summer 2018. The other position, Stockton Scholars Student Support Officer, focuses on building a program of direct case management and academic assistance for our students. The goal with both of these positions is to build a dedicated team that develops relationships with students, families, and educators throughout our city and engages them in the work of the Stockton Scholars.
- In collaboration with the Executive Officer, actively plan and implement an effective communications and outreach strategy across all eligible schools
- At least 50% of the time, this position requires direct contact with students and parents
- Coordinate with schools and community partners to plan and facilitate financial aid and scholarship capacity-building workshops with students and families, and college success workshops over the summer
- Identify new opportunities to bring in partners and improve the outcomes of Stockton Scholars
- Prioritize community relations and engagement by updating local partners and responding to community feedback and interest
- Assist with planning, fundraising, marketing, and organization of program events as needed
- Attend quarterly foundation Board of Directors meetings to report on scholarship programs
Requirement and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
- Background/professional experience related to education, college access, and/or youth
- Record of success engaging a variety of stakeholders, including residents and community groups, and demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional staff
- Experience working effectively with students and parents
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with ease in public presentations
- Excellent project management skills
- Adaptable and flexible; able to excel in a fast-paced, small-team environment that requires team members to wear several hats and support each other’s work
- Understanding the strength of diversity, and the need for solutions to support all regardless of race, religion, gender, immigration status, or ethnicity
- Effective time management and organizational skills; attentive to detail
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Based on a competitive non-profit salary scale; generous benefits package. As we are a small organization in the first year of operations, the benefits package is still in development, but includes provisions or reimbursement for Medical, Dental, Vision, and retirement plan contributions.
As a mission-driven organization, we match 100% of employee contributions to non-profit and charitable organizations, and provide support for student mentorship and volunteer activity.
Level of Language Proficiency
Required written and verbal fluency in English.
Preferred written and verbal proficiency in Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit a resume, cover letter, and the names of two (2) professional references (names and titles) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Application—Stockton Scholars Student Outreach Officer” in subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with the position intended to be filled by August 1, 2018. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
The Reinvent Stockton Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, women, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.