Position: Administrative Assistant
English Learner Implementation for Systemic Excellence Initiative (EL RISE!)
Long Beach, CA
Non-Exempt, Full-Time, Regular Position
3 Year Position
Californians Together is a state-wide advocacy coalition with the goal of better educating 1.1 million English learners by improving California's schools and promoting equitable educational policy.
Californians Together seeks a dynamic, results-oriented professional dedicated to educational equity and who is interested in supporting the mission, vision, and ongoing development of the organization as well as working on a new three-year initiative EL RISE! (English Learner Roadmap Implementation for Systemic Excellence!). Californians Together’s EL RISE! focused on the statewide implementation of California’s English learner policy is a collaboration with two other organizations: Sobrato Early Academic Language (SEAL) and Loyola Marymount University’s Center for Equity for English Learners (CEEL). Additional partners include the National Resource Center for Asian Languages and 20 county offices of education.
This position will be under direct supervision of the Project Administrator and Project Specialist and will provide support to the EL RISE! Design Team. The Administrative Assistant performs technical and specialized administrative support and oversight to various projects and performs related work as required.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide high-level support to the EL RISE! Initiative and Californians Together staff
- Organize and coordinate the daily calendar of the EL RISE! Team, including scheduling all appointments and facilitating logistics for meetings and travel
- Attend required EL RISE! meetings
- Assist Administrator and Specialist with the completion of grant reports and writing of updates
- Assist with gathering data for the evaluator
- Review and prepare advocacy, research and policy documents and briefs
- Provide support for organization projects and advocacy campaigns
- Perform clerical functions, correspondence, arrange conference calls and zoom meetings and schedule and take notes during meetings
- Provide coordination/administrative support on a wide range of initiatives being led by senior leadership
- Track and manage preparatory and day-of activities for speaking engagements, workshops, including processing “paperwork” and working with the Communications Department to ensure presentations are prepared in advance
- Prepare expense reports and reconcile expenses for EL RISE! team – including the county offices of education, staff, and consultants
- Write email correspondence on behalf of the Project Administrator, Project Specialist or on behalf of the project
- Anticipate needs and potential complications before they arise; proactively prevent problems
- Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills
- This position requires a minimum of 3 years of experience in administrative support; proven commitment to social and racial justice issues preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are required. Ability to communicate with a high level of cultural fluency to engage diverse work groups, communities, and a wide range of institutional partners.
- Exceptional organizational skills with strong attention to details are required. The ability to multi‐task various assignments, prioritize work, and adjust to multiple demands. Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines
- Proven ability to interact well at all levels of an organization; able to work independently and/or as part of a productive team; has the capability to take initiative and follow assigned duties through completion
- Experience using MS Office, G Suite and project management software. Proficiency with conference calling, online communication (Skype, Zoom, Google Meet, etc) and webinar technologies.