JOB TITLE: Director of Communications
REPORTS TO: CEO
Be a LEADer. Drive internal and external communications for LEAD Public Schools.
The Director of Communications at LEAD will use their experience, creativity, cultural competency, and innovative spirit to provide strategy and create turn-key tactics to better connect our schools, parents, students, and staff into a vibrant, well-connected, and cohesive community. This role will build and leverage the work of other key leaders to create a more consistent level of expectations and cadence for communications across all stakeholders.
- Evaluating current internal and external communications strategies to understand norms, best practices, and opportunities with an eye towards a better way to communicate
- Collaborating with key leaders to advance the LEAD Brand by understanding goals, culture, mission/vision/core values, communication channels, and differentiators to build a comprehensive communications plan with multiple touch points that reaches a variety of demographics and regions
- Building and executing the internal communications plan, leveraging strong writing skills, creativity, and other skill sets garnered through experience and best practices
- Developing benchmarks to measure success and adjust tactics to meet the goals and needs of the organization
- Working within the constraints of time and budget
- Utilizing strong interpersonal skills and willingness to engage in difficult conversations to create a unified plan and vision for LEAD Public Schools Communication
- Serve as a catalyst to facilitate the intentional development of the company’s culture by partnering with key departmental leaders to develop strategy, content, and distribution channels that support our Team & Family across the organization;
- Establish and grow relationships at the school level to help ensure communication tactics are resonating and adjust if they are not;
- Collaborate with team members to create innovative tactics, expertly managing timelines, and enriching employee engagement;
- Write executive communications using the voice of the CEO and the LEAD brand;
- Create benchmarks to determine return on investment and return on intent measures and adjust plans as needed to achieve goals.
- The persistence and grit of being a self-starter and problem solver who takes the lead, navigates challenges deftly, and can adjust an approach based on cultural environment and results to make a lasting impact
- The ability to work independently, in a remote environment, where your co-workers and peers are spread out virtually
- A competency and familiarity of using various forms of current and new technology (including collaboration platforms, video platforms, etc.) to support and enhance communication across dispersed teams and to deliver key messages in creative ways to different audiences
- Social media fluency and the ability to edit and make adjustments to LEAD Public Schools website on a consistent basis
- A comfort level with uncertainty and find enjoyment in the process of continuous learning, experimentation, iteration, and improvement
- A philosophy of best practices and adjusting to an ever-changing environment and diverse audiences
- An entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to finding new voices and stories to showcase the multi-faceted areas of LEAD Public Schools (students, staff, families, etc.)
- Cultural competency allowing the ability to relate to and communicate with staff and parents from diverse cultural, language, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds
- Strong work ethic coupled with critical thinking skills and an enthusiastic and passionate approach to the work;
- Evidence of high-level organizational and analytical skills, and ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Skilled writer with attention to detail and experience in writing internal and external communications, messaging, and leveraging communications to build organizational culture
- Personnel management experience, including team building experience
- Bachelors or graduate degree in English, journalism, marketing, communications, digital communications, or a closely related field; or equivalent experience.
Application Information (please read before submission)
- To apply, please complete an online application including your resume, which should include the following two artifacts of your work:
- 1-2 examples of internal communications systems (policies, procedures, best practices) that you have previously created from either your current or a previous role.
- 1-2 examples of external communications (including press releases, news articles, social media campaigns, etc.) previously created from either your current or a previous role.
- Your attachment should include your resume and the projects listed above as one document.