490 Riverside Drive
The Executive Minister of Programs reports to the Senior Minister.
The Executive Minister of Programs will provide managerial oversight and strategic direction for all program ministries of The Riverside Church including Education, Worship, Social Justice, Music, and Parish Care, and foster a culture of excellence in program ministries through the pursuit of innovative solutions, strategic partnerships, peer accountability, and process optimization. The role will contribute to the health and vitality of the congregation by maintaining an outstanding pastoral presence including regular participation in the worship life of the church as well as performing other pastoral duties as assigned by the Senior Minister.
The Executive Minister of Programs will understand and synthesize information about The Riverside Church’s comprehensive institutional identity as a church, cultural landmark, and service provider, in concert with other Executive Ministers, Directors, and the Senior Executive Minister, and use said information to further the church’s local and global impact, goals, mission, and financial and social sustainability. The role will also serve as a senior representative of the institution both within and outside The Riverside Church by identifying, building, and nurturing, actively and with savvy, strategic relationships with individuals, churches, and organizations that lead to institutional growth. In a management capacity, the Executive Minister of Programs will build, oversee, and balance the shape of staff portfolios, to include professional development plans, through the excellent management of both supervisors and employees within their purview. The Executive Minister of Programs influences all programmatic decisions related to strategy and impact in every area, and owns the implementation of decisions within the specific area that they lead.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead the team of directors of The Riverside Church’s program departments (Education, Worship, Social Justice, Music, and Parish Care). Work with departmental leads to develop comprehensive strategies and goals that align with the mission and ministry of The Riverside Church in conversation with appropriate lay leadership.
- Oversee the portfolio of program department budgets to ensure maximum ministry impact and faithful stewardship of resources.
- Develop and implement systems of accountability, measurement, and evaluation for all program departments in conjunction with their respective directors.
- Provide leadership for the Adult Education and Membership ministries.
- Supervise the work of the Associate Minister for Children and Families and the Associate Minister for Youth and Young Adults.
- Pursue horizontal and vertical integrations across all program departments in order to increase inter-organizational coordination and expand the church’s influence and strengthen outreach capabilities
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Minister.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Membership and ordination in a denomination that is a member of the National Council of Churches.
- Graduate degree (M.Div., M.A.R., or a comparable degree).
- Experience in ordained ministry with large congregations or organizations.
- Demonstrated theological understanding consistent with established core values of the Riverside Church.
- Experience in pastoral relationships, preferably in a congregation with a multi-cultural membership and an ethnically diverse and inclusive staff.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent strategic planning and project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with other ministries and staff.
- 5+ years of experience in departmental administration, budgeting, and managing teams.
- 7-10 years of total applicable experience.
*The Riverside Church is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, The Riverside Church prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.*
**Please no recruiter.
Minimum Education Required