Phipps Neighborhoods is a multi-service nonprofit helping children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources. We are dedicated to our neighborhoods, supporting individuals and families as they establish self-sufficiency.
Location: Flatiron District & West Farms - Bronx, NY - Temporarily Remote
The Marketing & Communications Associate will provide general but critical support to accomplishing Phipps Neighborhoods’ communications priorities, including external and internal communications campaigns, program recruitment, event execution, and more. The Marketing & Communications Associate will work closely with the Marketing & Communications Manager and Phipps Neighborhoods staff to increase communications efficiency, raise awareness about program accomplishments & organization strategy, and encourage participation in, partnership with, and support for our programs. Our ideal candidate must be able to nimbly and strategically create text and visual content to efficiently communicate to various stakeholders—including donors, staff, partners, and community members— to achieve the goals and vision of our organization.
Communications Production and Management
- Assist in the creation of external- and internal-facing communications assets and materials (social media, flyers, all staff resource emails, newsletter articles, blog posts, media summaries, press releases, PowerPoint decks, etc.)
- Meaningfully participate in creating engaging, on-brand social media content, campaigns, and schedules to further Phipps Neighborhoods’ Communications goals in partnership with the Marketing and Communications Manager.
- Maintain a consistent brand voice on social media that upholds community standards while moderating engagement.
- Report on social campaign analytics, budgeting, and other metrics for social media ad campaigns and general social media performance
- Use analytics to continuously improve upon campaign results and present A/B testing and other industry-standard strategies to enhance performance.
- Direct community inquiries from email, social media, et al. to the correct program as needed.
- Assist/lead in creation and design of print and digital material (Brochures, Posters, Envelopes, etc.) within Phipps Neighborhoods’ brand guidelines
- Collaborate with program staff in creation of program-specific media (Flyers, presentations, client highlights and interviews, etc.)
- Support event preparation and day-of execution and fundraising campaigns.
- Assist in integrating new systems, software, etc. where applicable.
- Provide administrative and project support, including purchasing, filing, scheduling.
- Prepare materials for community events, donor meetings, and presentations.
- Track media placements and mentions of Phipps Neighborhoods, our programs, and staff in an organized library.
- Maintain Phipps Neighborhoods photo directory.
- And other duties as deemed necessary
Skills and Experience
- Excellent writing, editing, and marketing skills with proven ability to customize communications to multiple audiences.
- Ability to effectively communicate the goals & priorities of Phipps Neighborhoods as laid out by the organization’s Executive team through various mediums.
2-3 years’ experience in the following:
o Social media content creation and management (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Youtube, Hootsuite)
o Blog or other relevant writing maintenance or experience.
o Google Documents and Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with email marketing software (MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.)
- Proficiency in graphic design software such as Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Publisher, and Canva preferred.
- Experience with Content Management Systems such as WordPress, HTML, etc. a plus.
- Associates Degree or equivalent college credits required, Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, another relevant major, or a related field preferred
- 4-5 years of relevant experience in marketing and/or communications required
- Friendly, curious, and hardworking team player invested in the Phipps Neighborhoods’ mission, and social justice causes
- Excellent writing, editing, and storytelling skills
- Superior attention to detail, particularly visual detail and aesthetics
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication abilities
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and to be accountable for the work assigned, as well as part of a collaborative team, and to take appropriate steps to see them through in a timely manner
- Experience working in fundraising, marketing, non-profit administration, or related field preferred
- Ability to use public transportation to travel to various locations throughout the City and lift up to 25 lbs.
- Occasionally required to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, holidays, and weekends
- A sense of humor and ability to remain solution-oriented while under pressure.