Leadership Opportunities Abound at Trail Blazers
Trail Blazers is an award winning non-profit youth development organization that facilitates the development of values and life skills essential for productive citizenship in young people. For over 130 years, we have touched the lives of thousands of young people from New York and New Jersey. Learn more about us at www.trailblazers.org.
Under One Sky is a year-round after school program that inspires urban youth to understand that everything is connected to the environment. We engage children and inspire them to make connections to the world around them through hands-on environmental science lessons, outdoor play and exploration, games and songs, team building and daily reflections.Our after school staff are mentors and teachers to small groups of 10-12 elementary aged children. Each day, staff facilitate environmental science lessons, engage in conflict resolution and positive behavior management strategies, tailor the program and schedule to meet the needs and interests of the group, encourage children to set and meet personal goals and reflect on personal growth.
Our best staff members:
• Possess a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of children
• Have an appreciation of and interest in the natural world
• Enjoy spending time outdoors
• Have previous experience working with children, particularly children from the inner city
• Possess very high levels of enthusiasm, leadership, and patience
All positions at Trail Blazers require a sense of humor, a commitment to providing quality programs and care to youth, and a genuine desire to make a difference. If that sounds like you, we look forward to your application!
Apply directly through our website at www.trailblazers.org/jobs
The UOS Group Leader will lead a group of 10-12 children and facilitate TBC programming in
an engaging and meaningful manner.
- Lead hands-on environmental science workshops for groups of 10-12 elementary school students using
inquiry-based learning strategies
- Bring camp magic to the program every day through songs and games
- Get to know the children individually and tailor the activities and programming to meet their needs and
- Engage in conflict resolution and positive behavior management practices as needed
- Work closely with the Enabler to ensure ongoing coaching and professional development
- Ensure the children's safety and well-being during the program
- Act as a champion for the children by positively encouraging and supporting their growth individually and
- Incorporate the Trail Blazers Values into all aspects of programming
- Participate in all staff trainings and activities, including regular check-ins with supervisors
- At least 18 years old with at least one year of college or post high school experience
- Ability to commit at least 3 afternoons per week (M-F, 2-6pm)
- Minimum of 1 year of child care experience
- Experience, interest, and desire to work with elementary aged youth
- Work and/or educational experience related to child development, leadership, child psychology,
environmental education, and/or behavior management preferred
- Knowledge or interest in outdoor skills, personal health, environmental stewardship, interpersonal
relationships, youth development, group dynamics, and programming
- A good sense of humor, high level of patience, and ability to engage appropriately with youth while
maintaining professional boundaries
- CPR/First Aid Certification preferred
$15.00 - $17.00/hour
TRAINING AND PROGRAM DATES
Program Dates: Wednesday September 12, 2018 – Friday June 21, 2019
Programs run Monday through Friday from 2:00pm to 6:00pm in accordance with the NYC DOE calendar. UOS does not operate when schools are closed or on early dismissal days.
All new hires will participate in a Trial Day before beginning with the program, and a New Staff Member Training Day within two weeks of joining the team.
Minimum Education Required