The Decatur Afterschool Community Director is responsible for all aspects of our new JKG Afterschool Community in Decatur! This includes overall program vision, curriculum and lesson planning, hiring, developing and managing the teaching team, event planning, parent communications and engagement, enrollment, and student management. Strict COVID restrictions will be in place to keep our students, team, and families safe. See our current COVID protocols from 2020-21 school year here.
The categories of responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Build and hone curriculum, vision, and approach of Afterschool Community program. This includes creating an intentional, loving, and community-centered environment for the inaugural year of the Afterschool program.
- Set up the new Afterschool space to be ready for the start of the school year, including setting up classrooms, ordering supplies, materials, securing transportation vehicles, etc.
- Set transportation schedule for the school year based on student enrollment
- Work with administrative staff and other Afterschool Community Directors to develop and refine organization policies, procedures, and program initiatives
- Solicit and integrate audience feedback, always aiming to get better
- For the inaugural years, the JKG Decatur Afterschool Director may also serve as a teacher. The nitty-gritty of this will be determined by the Director and COO over the summer and at the start of the school year.
- Recruit, hire and train Afterschool Community teachers, assistant teachers, and specialists as needed
- Plan and run Teacher Training at the beginning of the school year in concert with the other Afterschool Community Directors
- Plan and run staff meetings for Afterschool Community team
- Support teachers as needed with lesson planning, discipline challenges, etc.
- Support your team of teachers during JKG hours
- Cultivate a positive, hardworking, supportive culture among staff
- Recruit and manage parent volunteers, as needed
Family Relationship Management
- Go above and beyond what parents expect including sending “happy emails,” regular and personal “check-ins,” etc.
- Send weekly newsletters and program updates to Afterschool Community parents
- Communicate with parents during work hours by phone, email and in-person meetings about their children's’ experience at JKG
- Be the point of contact for all questions and information about JKG Afterschool Community
- Handle any on-site facilities issues as they arise by notifying appropriate parties or taking action as needed, including playground and building maintenance if applicable
- Organize and maintain the administrative side of Afterschool Community (student/teacher files, enrollment documents, organization of lesson plans, etc.)
- Purchase program supplies and snack as needed
- Manage budget and spending for Decatur Afterschool Community
- Implement all COVID protocols on a daily basis
- Recruit new families through online sources, Open Houses, Back to School night, festivals, open houses, and other promotional events (if possible)
- Take families out to coffee, ice cream, etc. as part of the enrollment process to get to know families better and encourage them to enroll in JKG (if possible)
- Lead tours for new families and interested parties (if possible)
School’s Out Camp Days
Plan and implement the programming and staff for all School’s Out Camp days throughout the semester. This includes:
- Tracking student enrollment
- Arranging for guest presenters and field trips (if applicable)
- Creating and maintaining daily schedule
- Hiring, managing, and prepping team for their roles
- Communications with parents and staff around Camp logistics
Attend and help plan special JKG events as needed/if possible (subject to change due to COVID restrictions). Some examples include Shabbat Potluck dinners and end of year ceremony.
- Start Date: Preferably mid to late May 2021, possibility for later start date if needed
- Salary: $40,000 - $47,000 annual salary (depending on experience and other criteria)
- $3,600 annual wellness stipend
- IRA match of up to 3%
- $500 annual professional development stipend