ABOUT URBAN ALLIANCE
Urban Alliance (UA) is a national youth workforce development non-profit organization headquartered in Washington, DC with regional offices in Baltimore, MD; Chicago, IL; and Northern Virginia. In 2018, UA will expand its core youth employment model – the High School Internship Program (HSIP) – to Detroit, MI.
The HSIP provides economically disadvantaged high school seniors with year-long paid internships, comprehensive job readiness training, and mentorship to ensure post-high school connection to college, a career, or career-training pathway. UA’s goal is to give young people an expanded idea of what’s possible for their future through access to meaningful professional development and work experience. Since 1996, UA has connected nearly 4,000 youth to professional paid internships.
Urban Alliance is searching for a Program Associate to support its Detroit expansion by providing a wide-range of programmatic, administrative, and planning assistance integral to regional operations. A successful candidate will be energetic, friendly, and detail-oriented. He or she will have strong communication skills and be a self-starter who enjoys working with youth. This position will report directly to the Detroit Executive Director.
• Assist the local Program Coordinator with job readiness trainings for youth as needed.
• Assist with drafting regular updates on regional operations for National staff.
• Research and maintain a resource center for regional interns and staff.
Finance & Development:
• Perform basic bookkeeping (e.g., payroll submission, bank drops, invoices, credit card reconciliations, staff reimbursements) and collaborate with the National Finance Team on expense tracking.
• Enter data into Salesforce and respond to requests from the National Evaluation Team.
Administration & Office Management:
• Serve as the front desk receptionist and answer phone calls/take messages.
• Draft emails and conduct research for the Executive Director as needed.
• Maintain an organized office environment and perform essential functions such as photocopying, faxing, and filing.
• Oversee organizational mailings, including ‘thank you’ cards.
• Order office supplies and maintain inventory.
• Serve as a liaison to IT support.
• Perform UA errands as needed.
• Collaborate with the Executive Director and Program Coordinator to plan regional events, including by designing and mailing invitations, locating and reserving a venue, securing catering, and managing RSVP lists.
• Assist with event execution.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Experience working in youth development preferred.
• Experience performing administrative tasks (e.g., front-desk representation, answering phones, scheduling, taking meeting notes, etc.) required.
• Experience in basic information management, including maintaining/adapting filing systems and electronic databases, strongly preferred.
• Strong time management and organization skills, and demonstrated attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work independently and on a team under tight deadlines.
- Excellent MS Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, and PowerPoint skills. Proficiency in Salesforce preferred.
· High energy and passion for the Urban Alliance mission.
· Demonstrated understanding that working with youth requires flexibility.
· Demonstrated ability to professionally represent UA internally and publicly.
· Good discretion and ability to be trusted to manage sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
· Strong work ethic and dependability, and ability to be the initial contact for the public during regular business hours.
· Willing and able to learn quickly and adapt to a fast-paced work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
UA shall follow the spirit and intent of all federal, state, and local employment laws and is committed to equal employment opportunity. To that end, the Board of Directors and the CEO of UA maintain a policy of providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment. This includes hiring, promotion, training, transfer, assignment, compensation, fringe benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment. UA prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex age, citizenship status, handicap, religion, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or any other non-merit factors unrelated to job duties. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and merit. The CEO shall act as the responsible agent in the full implementation of the Equal Employment Opportunity policy.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Annual salary range: $38,000-42,000
- Access to health insurance (medical, dental, vision) and retirement benefits package
- Annual professional development stipend
- Three weeks of paid annual leave and one week of paid organizational leave in December
- All federal holidays off
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter in a single PDF document addressed to Meaghan Woodbury, Chief Operating Officer. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Program Associate, Detroit.
Note: Please do not call to inquire about the position. Any application submitted through means not stated above will not be considered. Learn more at www.theurbanalliance.org.