Full Time Contract
Bright Hope’s Mission and Vision: Bright Hope is a Christian international relief and development organization dedicated to bringing Hope to those who live on less than $2 a day. We seek to provide for the physical, economic, and spiritual needs of the Extreme Poor through holistic partnerships with indigenous churches in some of the poorest countries around the world.
About Bright Hope: Bright Hope has been engaging the local church around the world for 50 years in the global fight against extreme poverty in their communities. Each community within the five countries we serve has its own unique needs. Yet, the one thing they all have in common is an established group of Christ followers. These churches provide an already existing infrastructure within rural areas and slum communities that has an established reputation, reach and influence. When properly engaged and carefully resourced, they become a well-run, accountable entity for holistic transformation. Through our years of experience, we have seen the church be courageous in loving those considered unlovable, be generous in times of crisis, and willing to help all peoples regardless of religion. We have found building into an already existing unit like the church is more effective in life transformation and helping lift the extreme poor out of their situation than trying to establish something new. At Bright Hope, we believe in the power of a holistic approach and have a three-tiered development model providing Hope for Today, Hope for Tomorrow, and Hope for Eternity.
About Bright Hope Haiti: Bright Hope has been partnering with churches in Haiti for 14 years. We are actively implementing our transformational model, including Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) workshops, baseline measures and development plans with churches in Northeast Haiti. The Operations Manager will partner with the Bright Hope Haiti Partnership Developer (PD) to enhance Bright Hope’s Community Development efforts so that plans are developed and executed, monitoring and evaluating occurs, the local church experiences Hope and growth, and sustainable development is achieved. A few outcomes from local church program implementation include water and sanitation programs, pastor and church training, agricultural programs and community outreach. God is actively at work in these churches as they worship, dream, learn, serve, grow, and support one another.
Job Summary: This position is located in or near Cap Haitian, Haiti. It works in and with the local Haitian Christian church building positive, healthy relationships with church partners. It works with the Partnership Developer (PD) to establish, execute, and stay on track for the overall Bright Hope Haiti operating budget. Additionally, the position coaches church partners in best practices for financial and operational excellence, ensuring alignment to Bright Hope’s community transformational model. It works in collaboration with the PD and churches to establish program budgets, accounting practices, quality control, monitoring, accountability, and financial reporting. It also supports the PD with project planning and implementation, training, asset investigation, base-line measurement, organization, and program reporting. It is also the key liaison between church partners and Bright Hope marketing, helping marketing to best communicate with allies all that God is doing among Haitian Bright Hope churches.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Supports the Partnership Developer Haiti in developing and implementing a Haitian country strategy, ensuring alignment with Bright Hope’s mission, vision, community transformation model, and values. Particular emphasis is on providing insight into the financial and operations aspects of the strategy, including evaluating the risks associated with projects and partners.
- Partners with the PD Haiti to identify areas of growth or expansion for church partners.
- Works with PD Haiti to build leadership capacity of Haiti church partners.
- Supports the PD Haiti in hiring program support staff for program and project implementation.
- Ensures disciplines are in place for an active, personal, growing Christian faith.
- Models servant leadership by serving church partners, Haitian church leaders, and other Bright Hope staff through actions such as active listening, spiritual encouragement and prayer
- Oversees all aspects of Bright Hope Haiti’s budget and financial administration.
- Ensures overall fiscal transparency and health of Haitian country budgets, expenditures, and income reporting.
- Provides input into key decisions related to Bright Hope Haiti’s field operations to ensure financial alignment with Bright Hope’s mission and goals.
- Monitors effectiveness of activities through reporting and metrics. Recommends program adjustments to the PD Haiti if negative impacts are observed.
- Assists churches on setting up a church finance process and accounts for Bright Hope supported programs.
- Trains church partners on budgeting, financial reporting, and administration.
- Works with the PD Haiti and church leaders to develop project budgets for associated activity plans.
- Oversees funds transfer process from Bright Hope home office to Bright Hope Haiti, including funds for Bright Hope Haiti staff, Haiti church partners, and financial tracking and reporting.
- Develops and strengthens Bright Hope’s financial policies, procedures, systems and controls in Haiti, aimed at promoting accountability and alignment to prevailing laws and regulations in Haiti.
- Ensures quality, accuracy, and timeliness of financial metrics from church partners and writes financial reports for the PD Haiti to deliver to the Director, International Partnerships.
- Provides financial reports to Director, IP related to Haiti staff expenditures.
- Provides monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to PD Haiti comparing budgetary objectives with achieved results.
- Reports immediately any cases of fraud, theft, abuse, misconduct, or conflict of interest with Haiti Bright Hope staff, partners, or projects.
- When working in the field, contributes to building relationships with existing and new partnerships, empowering churches and communities as they move towards sustainable change.
- In partnership with the PD Haiti and local project support, develops a system of communication and partner visitation to further partner relations, project capacity, and marketing outcomes.
- Visits partners routinely (at least once per month to each partner) to evaluate ministry effectiveness and build relationships for connection and support.
- Meets weekly with the Partnership Developer Haiti for strategy, planning, and implementation.
- Meets weekly with the Partnership Developer and Director, International Partnerships for updates and planning.
- Trains churches and monitors their budget and reporting to ensure they operate within funding parameters.
- Mentors and supports the development of program volunteers and Trainer of Trainers (TOTs)
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Ensures partner financial and administrative activities are completed within the scheduled timeline.
- Monitors and evaluates the financial risks associated with new and existing project and partners.
- In partnership with the PD Haiti provides regular written reporting on programs outcomes and progress.
- Ensures stories are gathered, and photographs and video are routinely captured and available for marketing. Coordinates community connection with the U.S. marketing team and program leaders and participants.
- Plans and solidifies logistics for donor teams traveling to Haiti, including but not limited to housing, translation, and transportation.
- Networks and partners with churches, pastors, and other NGOs in Haiti.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in business, finance, or international community development or equivalent preferred; Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Experience in financial planning, financial management, budgeting, and administration
- Experience training others in financial administration practices
- Experience working well with international churches, pastors, ministries and missionaries
- Experience living and working in developing countries, preferably Haiti
Key Knowledge and Skills:
- English fluency, both orally and in writing
- Proficient in local languages preferred
- Written and verbal communication
- Understanding of the Haitian culture
- Accounting and finance management to develop and manage budgets, forecast, and finance
- Training and presentation
- Project management
- Relationship building
- Conflict resolution
- Computer skills for word processing, spreadsheets, email, internet
Special Position Requirements:
- Affirms Bright Hope’s Belief Statement and models the Christian faith, as described here: http://www.brighthope.org/why_brighthope/mission.php
- Operations Manager’s work schedule may vary on need, responsibility and agreed upon schedule
- Passion for helping the extreme poor through the local Christian church in Haiti
- Travel required; travel may involve entering areas of poverty that include some level of risk or disease
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume/CV, cover letter, and statement of faith to email@example.com