The Smithsonian Institution is a unique complex of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, and nine research and cultural centers. The Smithsonian is a national and world treasure and is dedicated to its founding mission, "the increase and diffusion of knowledge." Its exhibitions, programs, collections, and outreach touch the lives of millions of Americans every year, as well as many who visit us from abroad, and the massive body of inter-disciplinary research conducted by its staff helps humanity preserve our past, understand our present and chart our future.
The Office of Advancement oversees and guides the fundraising efforts of the entire Smithsonian and is home to the central advancement organization for the Institution. In addition to raising significant support for a variety of Smithsonian initiatives, the Office of Advancement provides support services to advancement offices across the Institution. The office engages with staff through the Smithsonian in accomplishing their goals in communicating with supporters and stakeholders. There are approximately 80 staff members in the Office of Advancement.
The Online Fundraising team, part of the Office of Advancement of the Smithsonian Institution has a requirement for a contractor to provide strategic, tactical, production and marketing strategy and best practices, particularly with producing successful emails that are meant to acquire new emails, engage in active email list and get them to take action, and convert, upgrade and steward donors. The successful candidate must have Blackbaud Convio Luminate Online experience and ideally experience with the Atlassian products JIRA and Confluence, as well as experience working in a large, complex organization in which collaboration and multiple approvals are required.
STATEMENT OF WORK
The contractor shall provide strategic, tactical, production and project management support services to support and assist with online marketing initiatives for the Associate Director of Digital Media Philanthropy in the Office of Advancement through December 31, 2018, not to exceed 30 hours per week. This position shall be paid a firm fixed hourly rate. The contract may be renewed or added to. Work assigned may include but will not be limited to:
- Assist in strategy and production of online marketing campaigns for the Office of Advancement, including but not limited to sourcing content ideas and assets, writing copy and producing emails, surveys and web pages, and developing, QAing and launching collateral in the Blackbaud Convio Luminate Online and possibly MailChimp platforms;
- Help expand, maintain, train and help support the Office of Advancement's JIRA and Confluence project management and wiki, including assisting in expanding and launching the JIRA Service Desk, providing regular trainings and onboarding more OA staff onto the platform;
- Assist in finalizing and launching email invitation template project, including finalizing a generator, producing documentation, leading trainings, and troubleshooting and iterating the process for emails produced not only for Luminate but also for MailChimp;
- Help develop a QA process for emails and other online marketing collateral and regularly use process to help QA emails and other online marketing collateral;
- Assist in launching, maintaining and reporting on digital advertising, including but not limited to the Facebook and GoogleAds platform;
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidates should have experience with the Blackbaud Convio Luminate Online platform, Atlassian products JIRA and Confluence, HTML and CSS, and successful online marketing best practices.
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE
The selected contractor will perform a majority of the work at its own facility. The contractor will meet from time to time in person at the Smithsonian Castle in DC.
All vendor project team members will submit security forms and nondisclosure agreements to the Office of Advancement Human Resources department for clearance and access badges to the Smithsonian. All vendor programmers and quality control team members will be granted access to Smithsonian servers and all necessary IT functions. They will also be given temporary Smithsonian accounts which are to be used only for work pertaining to Office of Advancement projects. Upon completion of the project these accounts will be closed.
- Expert understanding of nonprofit online marketing;
- Expert proficiency with the Blackbaud Convio Luminate Online Platform, particularly developing for the Email, Donation, Pagebuilder, Survey and Constituent360 modules;
- Strong writing skills, particularly creating content for mission-based organizations and getting constituents to take a desired action;
- Experience with web markup, including HTML5 and CSS3;
- Proficiency with the Drupal and Wordpress platforms;
- Strong understanding of current web design, UX, and UI standards and trends as well as Web Accessibility implementation standards;
- Understanding of responsive design, standards, and frameworks (example: Bootstrap).
- Understanding of current web design, UX, and UI standards and trends as well as Web Accessibility implementation standards.
- Strong understanding of web analytics and related platforms (example: Google Analytics);
- Experience in user testing preferred; demonstrated quality assurance skills including meticulous attention to detail and experience with version control.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
SUBMITTING YOUR QUOTE
Price quotes should be an all-inclusive flat fee and include a breakdown of cost per hour. Submit quotes by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Quotes are due by the close of business on June 27, 2018. Quotes should contain the following information:
- Plan of accomplishment: Provide a narrative explanation addressing the technical competence, the technical vendor's capabilities, qualifications and approach to satisfy the requirements of this statement of work.
- Previous experience: Provide specialized experience and demonstrated technical competence in performing similar work as requested herein. Please provide examples of other organizations where you have provided similar services. Submit a summary of jobs for each example of similar efforts performed as well as one reference per job preferably completed within the last five years.
- Cost: Address pricing of the work as required herein for a minimum of 15 hours per week, not to exceed 30 hours per week. Price should be submitted in the format of price per hour of labor. The price proposals shall be all-inclusive. This position shall be paid a firm fixed hourly rate.
EVALUATION FACTORS FOR AWARD
The Smithsonian reserves the right to evaluate proposals and award a contract or contracts without discussion. Proposals shall be evaluated in accordance with the following criteria being applied to the information requested above.
Plan of Accomplishment and Previous Experience shall both be granted more weight than Cost. Award of a contract shall be made to the responsive, responsible Offeror, whose combined cost and technical proposal is, in the opinion of the review committee, determined to be the most advantageous and in the best interest of the Smithsonian Institution.
Prospective contractors are required to have Commercial General Liability Insurance. If you are the selected contractor and you do not have insurance and you do not wish to take out your own policy, you may elect to join the Smithsonian Institution’s Commercial General Liability Policy for Contractors. The premium charged varies with the dollar amount of the contract.
A DUNS number is a unique nine-digit identification number and is needed to register with the System for Award Management (SAM). DUNS numbers are provided through Dun and Bradstreet at no charge.
SYSTEM FOR AWARD MANAGEMENT (SAM)
It is a requirement that current and prospective recipients of contracts and purchase orders awarded by the Smithsonian Institution must complete registration and maintain an active record in the System for Award Management (SAM). The SAM requires a one-time business registration, with annual updates, and allows vendors to control the accuracy of the business information they enter.
If your quote is selected for award, your valid and active registration with SAM must be verifiable by Smithsonian Institution staff administering this procurement prior to contract award, and any modifications or amendments to awards.
LEGISLATIVE AND ADMINISTRATIVE REQUIREMENTS
A. Service Contract Act – If services to be performed are covered by the Service Contract Act (SCA), as amended, the SCA shall apply to all work performed under the contract. Individuals submitting quotes are encouraged to verify the wages and fringe benefits determined by the U.S. Department of Labor to be payable for the Labor Category and within the location that work performance will occur.
B. Background Investigation – Contractor employee assigned to the Smithsonian Institution under this contract will have an association with the Smithsonian Institution that will be greater than thirty days, and will need to access staff-only areas of Smithsonian Institution controlled facilities and leased spaces. Therefore, the employee shall be required to receive a Smithsonian Institution credential, and will be required to undergo and pass an appropriate background investigation.